Information Security News mailing list archives

Utah guv fires tech director over health data breach, creates security czar

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 04:04:19 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54116598-78/health-data-information-state.html.csp

By Heather May
The Salt Lake Tribune
May 15 2012

Gov. Gary Herbert apologized to the 780,000 victims of the health data security breach on Tuesday.

To restore the public’s trust, he announced Tuesday that he fired Department of Technology Services director Stephen Fletcher and hired an ombudsman to shepherd victims through the process of protecting their identities and credit.

"The people of Utah rightly believe that the government will protect them, their families, and their personal data. When they interface with us that is in fact our charge," Herbert said at an afternoon news conference, adding that one of his family members was among those whose information was compromised.

"As a state government we have failed to honor that commitment," he said. "For that, as your governor and as a Utahn, I am deeply sorry."

He said Fletcher was asked to resign, saying the director lacked "oversight and leadership."

[...]

LayerOne Security Conference
May 26-27, Clarion Hotel, Anaheim, CA
http://www.layerone.org