Information Security News mailing list archives

IEBC to invite hackers to 'invade' its systems

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 04:06:36 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/politics/IEBC+to+invite+hackers+to+invade+its+systems/-/1064/1449152/-/6e40u7/-/index.html

By OLIVER MATHENGE
nation.co.ke
July 9, 2012

Do you consider yourself an IT hacker? Then the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission will soon be looking for you.

In November, the IEBC plans to invite hackers to try tamper with the system that it will use to transmit provisional results.

According to IEBC CEO James Oswago, this will help the system attract the confidence of Kenyans ahead of the planned March 4, 2013 General Elections.

"We are confident that our system is tamper-proof. However, sometime in November we will invite those who think they can hack into the system to do it. We want Kenyans to have confidence in the system," Mr Oswago said.

According to Mr Oswago, this is one of the lessons that the Commission has learnt from engagement with electoral bodies that use such systems.

[...]

--
Learn how to be a Pen Tester, CISSP, ISSMP, or ISSAP with Expanding Security online.
Come to a free class and see how good and fun the program really is.