Information Security News mailing list archives

Secretive group expands role in cybermonitoring

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 04:33:48 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.examiner.com/article/secretive-group-expands-role-cybermonitoring

By Mark Albertson
Examiner.com
August 21, 2012

Two years ago, this column published what became the first comprehensive stories ever written about a then secret group of computer professionals who volunteered their time to monitor domestic and international cybercrime. The group – Project Vigilant – subsequently received a great deal of publicity in the aftermath of those columns. Some of the media attention shed additional light on the group, resulting in an avalanche of coverage. After several months, the group ceased granting press interviews and has remained largely out of the spotlight. Until now.

For the past several weeks, this column was granted unprecedented access to the organization, involving multiple, lengthy interviews with key members of the group. A great deal of what was discussed was off the record and could not be described here. However, information the group was willing to allow for publication sheds new light not just on Project Vigilant, but how the technology tools they use play an increasingly significant role in support of the U.S. government’s efforts to combat cybercrime and protect the free flow of information over the Internet around the world.

The new picture of Project Vigilant that emerges is of a fiercely dedicated group of highly skilled volunteers who specialize in online attribution, an increasingly complicated field that is designed to breakdown the anonymity of the Internet by identifying its bad actors. And they are enormously sensitive to criticism that they are spying on U.S. citizens or are secret agents of the U.S. government. “We are not the U.S. government,” says Chet Uber, Project Vigilant’s Director. “We are not agents of the U.S. government. We do not take orders from the U.S. government. We are vigilants, not vigilantes.”

Uber says his group’s role has changed significantly since 2010, through a greater focus on a suite of technology tools that, for example, can assess whether a specific nation state might launch a malware attack in the next week. “We always ask: does this present a threat to national security?” Uber explains. “If the answer is yes, we turn the information over to the U.S. government.”

[...]