Information Security News mailing list archives

Citigroup CEO targeted by hackers over protest arrests

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:50:41 -0500 (CDT)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20121500-245/citigroup-ceo-targeted-by-hackers-over-protest-arrests/

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
October 17, 2011

Hackers released personal information about the head of Citigroup today in retaliation for the arrest of protesters during the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations this weekend.

The data on Vikram Pandit, Citigroup's chief executive officer, includes phone numbers, address, e-mail address, family information, and some legal and financial information. It was released by CabinCr3w, which is affiliated with the Anonymous online activist group that has been involved in the monthlong protests.

"During Occupy Wall Street, protesters had made way to CitiBank to withdraw their funds and close their accounts," CabinCr3w wrote in a statement. "They were met with strong police presence and arrested. We as American citizens MUST have full control over our money and livelihood. When this is taken away from us, what else do we have? So the CEO of CitiBank has blindly jumped into the sights of the CabinCr3w..."

About two dozen people were arrested on criminal trespass charges in a Citibank branch in New York on Saturday afternoon, according to The Wall Street Journal.

[...]