Information Security News mailing list archives

AT&T thwarts hacking attempt on mobile accounts

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 02:44:16 -0600 (CST)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-57329162-245/at-t-thwarts-hacking-attempt-on-mobile-accounts/

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
November 21, 2011

AT&T said today that it successfully thwarted what appeared to be an attempt by someone to steal mobile customer data.

"We recently detected what could have been an organized attempt to obtain information on a number of customer accounts," AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said in a statement. "The people in question appear to have used autoscript technology to determine whether AT&T telephone numbers were linked to online AT&T accounts."

No accounts were breached, he said, adding that less than 1 percent of AT&T's 100 million wireless accounts total were affected, or 1 million accounts.

"Our investigation is ongoing to determine the source or intent of the attempt to gather this information," Siegel said. "In the meantime, out of an abundance of caution, we are advising the account holders involved."

The company sent an e-mail to the accounts that were affected.

[...]