Information Security News mailing list archives

Reports: DHS, IRS Databases At Risk

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 03:42:23 -0700 (MST)

http://www.darkreading.com/database-security/167901020/security/vulnerabilities/231001255/reports-dhs-irs-databases-at-risk.html

By Ericka Chickowski
Contributing Writer
Dark Reading
July 08, 2011

Some of the federal government's most critical agencies are falling down on database security with misconfigurations, vulnerabilities, and a lack of best practices, putting sensitive citizen and defense information at risk as a result, new government audits show. Just this week, the Office of the Inspector General (IG) found that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) -- the agency in charge of ensuring Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) compliance among all government agencies -- itself has a number of critical shortcomings within its database defenses.

The new report (PDF) highlighted database security deficiencies within the protected critical infrastructure information (PCII) system data stores, with weaknesses in both the Automated Critical Asset Management System (ACAMS) and the Linking Encrypted Network System (LENS) that put PCII data at risk. Some of the problems highlighted in the report included a failure to follow the rule of least privilege, a lack of communication among personnel to decide who was in charge of locking down the database, and a number of redacted configuration vulnerabilities.

"We all have this sense of concern that develops when the people responsible for keeping us secure are not keeping themselves secure," says John Verry, principal consultant for Pivot Point Security. "I would be hesitant to make an assertion about something I am not directly familiar with -- we haven't done work for DHS, and they may have picked the one database that was wildly insecure. But typically what we find [when] we do enterprisewide database security assessments is that if one database is relatively insecure, most of them will be, and if one database tends to be reasonably secure, most of them will be."

The DHS isn't the only agency under fire from auditors. A recent report (PDF) from the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) found that the IRS has some serious problems with the security of nearly all of its 2,200 databases. Even though the agency has spent $1.1 million on database security tools recently, it has not completed the implementation of tools and requisite best practices to make them effective.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/