Information Security News mailing list archives

Government devotes more brainpower and money to cybersecurity

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 00:26:51 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/21/AR2010062104680.html

By Walter Pincus
The Washington Post
June 22, 2010

Cybersecurity, fast becoming Washington's growth industry of choice,
appears to be in line for a multibillion-dollar injection of federal
research dollars, according to a senior intelligence official.

Delivering the keynote address at a recent cybersecurity summit
sponsored by Defense Daily, Dawn Meyerriecks, deputy director of
national intelligence for acquisition and technology, said that along
with the White House Office of Science and Technology, her office is
going to sponsor major research "where the government's about to spend
multiple billions of dollars."

This newest element of the federal cybersecurity initiative will not be
looking for what Mayerriecks called "classic Beltway . . . commercial
answers" to be applied to today's hacker problems at federal agencies.
"I think we need to be really innovative, because I think we're going to
run out of runway on our current approach," she said.

Three themes are to be stressed in this upcoming cybersecurity research
agenda, she said. The first is called "tailored trustworthy spaces,"
which means creating different security levels for different government
and non-government Internet activities. Less security is needed for
finding baseball scores than when banking or guarding secrets, she said.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com