Information Security News mailing list archives

Former NSA, CIA Director Says Intelligence-Gathering Isn't Cyberwar

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 02:31:32 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.darkreading.com/security/cybercrime/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=226400063

By Tim Wilson
DarkReading
July 30, 2010

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA -- Black Hat USA 2010 -- There's a difference between
the gathering of foreign intelligence -- the spy game -- and outright
cyberwarfare, a former CIA director told an audience here yesterday.

Gen. Michael Hayden, who has served as the director of the National
Security Agency and the Central Intelligence Agency, offered some
insight into the government's views on cyberwarfare in a keynote address
at Black Hat. His comments ran contrary to some current and former
government officials, who have stated that the U.S. is already engaged
in cyberwar.

"When it comes to the question of what is cyberwar, we've been thinking
a lot about it, but not very clearly," Hayden said. "I think we've
gotten a little sloppy with the language."

Hayden, who is also a former Air Force general, offered some perspective
on how military and intelligence leaders view the parameters of
cyberwar.

"Cyber is a domain, just as land, sea, air, and space are domains,"
Hayden said. "God made those four domains; you made the fifth one. God
did a better job."

[...]

--
Visit InfoSec News!