Information Security News mailing list archives

Virgin Media loses 3,000 customer records

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 03:38:13 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2219730/virgin-media-loses-customer

By Angelica Mari
Computing

Virgin Media has lost an unencrypted computer disc containing bank
details, names and addresses of some 3,000 UK customers that signed up
to its services via Carphone Warehouse stores from January.

It is understood that the subsidiary of Virgin Group is communicating
the data leakage - which occurred in late May - individually to the
customers affected and is currently carrying out a review of its data
protection policies and practices.

"We have been working with the Information Commissioners' Office on this
matter and will ensure we meet our responsibilities and fully support
our customers through this process," Virgin Media said in a statement.

It is not know why the records were stored in a CD, as the business.
standard procedure is to use secure FTP transfers.

Virgin's case follows last week's news of the online hack of clothing
business Cotton Traders, which lost details belonging to up to 38,000
customers.

Attend Black Hat USA, August 2-7 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Featuring 40 hands-on training courses and 80 Briefings
presentations with lots of new content and new tools.
Network with 4,000 delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com