Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers access data of American bank's customers

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:38:23 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/08/13/231805/hackers-access-data-of-american-banks-customers.htm

By Mark Watts
Computerweekly.com

Hackers have accessed confidential details of an estimated 5,000
customers of an American banking group.

San Francisco-based Wells Fargo is notifying affected customers of the
breach.

Details of the breach are contained in a letter that the bank sent to
New Hampshire's attorney general. It appears to be one of several
letters sent to different states where people's data has been
compromised.

Written by the bank's senior company counsel, Peter McCorkell, it said,
"This letter is to advise you of an information compromise incident
which affects residents of New Hampshire.

"Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. has been advised by a reseller of consumer data,
including consumer credit bureau data, of suspicious transactions made
using Wells Fargo access codes. Our investigation confirmed that a
significant number of unauthorized transactions had been made using
Wells Fargo's codes. At this time, we do not know how our codes were
compromised. We have notified the United States Secret Service, and it
is investigating this matter."

Personal information including names, addresses, dates of birth, social
security numbers, driver's licence numbers and, in some cases, credit
account information was accessed by "unauthorized person or persons".

[...]

Visit Defcon Pics - Defcon Memory Repository
http://www.defconpics.org