Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu Is Best for Enterprise Use

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:07:51 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle (at) gmail.com>

On Nov 20, 2007 11:30 AM, InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org> wrote:
Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho (at) attrition.org>
: 4. A Superlative Security Record
:
: Security is a top priority for Ubuntu, which has been rated No. 1 for
: security update quality and responsiveness in recent studies. Security
: updates are freely available to all users of Ubuntu, with no
: subscription required. Ubuntu is also conservative with updates; every
: change made to the operating system or to the base applications is
: peer reviewed for security. And of course, being an open source
: platform, Ubuntu inherits the positive security characteristics of
: Linux in general.

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn

Uh, load this page and explain to me again how this is "superlative"?

Superlative is not always the amount of exploits, but who discovered
them and how fast they were repaired. I trust a product more if the
authors discover and patch their own vulnerabilities. Ubuntu does this
to an extent, but considering ~700 megs of code are in it, its not
surprising they don't discover all the vulnerabilities by themselves..

-JP

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/