Information Security News mailing list archives

Comm team prepares Kadena for cyber war

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 01:03:40 -0600 (CST)

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123080548

By Senior Airman Nestor Cruz
18th Wing Public Affairs
Air Force Print News
12/26/2007

KADENA AIR FORCE BASE, Japan (AFPN) -- "Intruders" from cyberspace are
trying to hack into the Kadena Air Base network and steal information
from unsuspecting e-mail users.

The intruders are not hackers, though they pretend to be to gain access
to information they would need if they wanted to cripple the mission
here.

Fortunately, they are not a real threat but a group of Airmen from the
18th Communications Squadron's "Blue Team" charged with strengthening
Kadena's network through training, testing and assessing users.

"(Lt. Col. Clayton Perce, 18th CS commander) recognized we had people in
our squadron with the unique talent of understanding the mindset of
hackers," said Lt. Col. Alonna Barnhart, 18th CS Blue Team
officer-in-charge. "We act as 'blue team aggressors' against Kadena's
network users, helping people recognize the threat, train for the threat
and retrain as necessary."

One of the biggest threats to the local network is an e-mail scam known
as phishing. Phishing is an attempt to acquire sensitive information by
fraudulent means such as e-mail designed to look like a bank or other
trustworthy company. Sensitive information sought by hackers includes
usernames, passwords and credit card numbers.

"E-mail is the most accessible feature an enemy can use to exploit us,"
said Staff Sgt. Damon Cook, 18th CS NCO-in-charge of information
protection operations. "Many people still fall prey to these e-mail
scams designed to grab information from users. We would rather catch
victims first, using the same techniques as the enemy, so we can ensure
people are trained properly."

Blue Team members recommend checking for digital signatures if an e-mail
seems questionable.

"With unsigned e-mail, you really can't tell where it's coming from,"
said Staff Sgt. Andrew Jones, 18th CS network applications supervisor.

Some may remember a phishing e-mail sent during past local operational
readiness exercises. But the team goes beyond preparing Airmen for the
next exercise.

"While the 18th CS sent out phishing e-mails only during exercises, we
intend to help network users increase their level of readiness all the
time," said Colonel Barnhart. "All Kadena network users will be tested."

Local network users include anyone with access to the network, such as
Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, tenant unit personnel, civilians and
local nationals.

"If our users are not properly trained, they will become a threat to the
network," the colonel said.

In the months ahead, the Blue Team staff plans to test network users on
other network vulnerabilities such as unsecured common access cards and
computers left unlocked.

The team, still in its infancy, has already earned strong support from
base leadership.

"(Brig. Gen. Brett Williams, 18th Wing commander,) is very supportive of
our team and our mission," said Colonel Barnhart. "The commander is very
serious about information assurance training and wants us to 'increase
the level of pain' somewhat."

The Blue Team received direction from base leaders to disable the
accounts of any user who fails a future assessment until retraining is
accomplished. Network users have already shown improvement in
information assurance, or IA.

"Statistically speaking, the numbers have gone down," said Sergeant
Cook. "When we started out, we had thousands of people falling for one
of our e-mail tests; nowadays, we're down in the hundreds. Users are
definitely getting smarter, which means we have to be sneakier."

The Blue Team recommends network users acquire as much training as they
can and educate themselves on current network threats.

"People should be aware of the training issued from the 18th CS," said
Colonel Barnhart. "We send out e-mail to all users with recommended
training and we try to highlight threats to our users. It's important to
review all the available information and go above and beyond the annual
IA training."

Although e-mail tests sent out by Blue Team members are intended for
training purposes only, they are meant to highlight the fact that
hackers pose a real threat to military networks.

"People need to understand that this is a very real threat," Sergeant
Cook said. "If we're at war, our networks will be targeted by our
enemies."

Network users should contact their unit client support administrator
with questions about phishing scams or other IA issues.

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/