Information Security News mailing list archives

NIS to guard against hackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 03:48:04 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.nationnews.com/story/363291867244009.php

7/31/06.

HACKERS WILL HAVE a very difficult time trying to break into the National
Insurance Scheme's (NIS) new portal which allows workers and employers to
check their status with the department online.

This assurance has come from NIS director Ian Carrington, who said the
department had employed the services of a company to try hacking into the
system and test for any weaknesses.

"We hired a firm that has done work even for the CIA (Central Intelligence
Agency) in Washington and this kind of work is all they do," he told
BARBADOS BUSINESS AUTHORITY in an interview.

According to him, while the hired hackers were unable to penetrate the NIS
system, they did make some recommendations about tightening password usage
within the department.

"I am pretty comfortable in my mind that what we have done is the correct
thing but obviously with an institution like this we have to have a
continuous monitoring process with high levels of security. . . because
there are a lot of young people out there who will try something; you want
to know that if they do try something, we know where they have gone, what
they have seen, and what we need to correct," the NIS boss pointed out.

While not prepared to discuss the cost of introducing the portal, there
had been much internal analysis on the cost savings of the project.

"What we sought was not to reduce staffing levels but to utilise the
efficiencies in different areas to address services that we were not
providing," he said.

Furthermore, Carrington noted, "We are also seeking to do some automation
of routine benefit matters and then focus on the ones that are not as
great in number, but much more difficult to process." (GE)

Attend the Black Hat Briefings and
Training, Las Vegas July 29 - August 3
2,500+ international security experts from 40 nations,
10 tracks, no vendor pitches.
www.blackhat.com