Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: [Vmyths.com ALERT] Hysteria over ''Sasser'' worm

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 08:49:35 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: T <tee () T72 org>

Rob scribbled:

http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=241&page=4 for details.)  In the
latest example, an AFP newswire revealed "Sampo, Finland's third
largest bank, closed its 130 branch offices across the country to
prevent the Sasser Internet worm from infecting its systems...  'We
decided to close our offices as a precaution, since we knew that our
virus protection hadn't been updated,' Sampo spokesman Hannu Vuola
[said]."  In other words, Finland's third-largest bank voluntarily
made itself Finland's SMALLEST bank -- because they didn't trust
their "antivirus solution" to protect them in a time of crisis.

I've not read AFP newswire story but MTV3 news (Finnish TV channel)
reported that Sampo actually got infected. As we all know it can
sometimes be difficult to find the piece of truth from news stories
but in this case I find it hard to believe that Sampo would have
closed their branch offices as a "precautionary measure".

Peace,

--T

--
  echo https://www.T72.org/pgp/tee.asc |
  perl -ne 'map{print STDERR;select$T,$7,$2,.072}split//'

  27C9 469D 213F 5C18 7D60 8378 E64E 474A FE75 4614