Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Symantec: Boom Times For Hackers (Two messages)

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:39:05 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: "Jack Whitsitt (jofny)" <xaphan () violating us>

Am I not sure if I am the only one here that is concerned about this
fact or not, so here it goes. Isn't it at cross purposes perhaps
even a ethical question, that a report like this was created by a
company that sells the stuff to prevent all this bad stuff from
happening to you? Why has no one ever suggested this before? It
seems like a logical conclusion.

It is a logical conclusion if that's the last question you ask. The
next thing that needs to be thought about, however, is: How many
groups are there with that many resources in that many places who have
that many sources of information but don't have some sort of vested
interest in the answer? My suspicious is that the answer to that is
"none".

For me independent sources, even if only in appearances, would help
to validate this information adding credibility and trust.

It appears that each and every group from Symantec to PWC, E & Y and
CSI/FBI has a different story to tell and its difficult to tell
which one is correct because none of them support each other.

All of them are looking at different data sets with different focuses.
Global Trends are usually pretty meaningless unless the questions are
asked from a specific viewpoint / vector. Unfortunately, this also
means that with different focuses, you see different trends.

What is unethical about releasing a report based on your interests
(focus and vector) and available data? Nothing unless you're making it
up. The fact of being involved in the data might make it poorly suited
for court, but stating your view of the world is a perfectly
acceptable and - in this case - a probably helpful thing to do.

Jack