Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Businesses are under attack, says MS security head (Three messages)

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:10:59 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Russell Coker <russell () coker com au>
Cc: scarlet_pruitt () idg com

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:10, InfoSec News <isn () c4i org> wrote:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/24/HNunderattack_1.html

By Scarlet Pruitt
IDG News Service
February 24, 2004

Windows 95 was written without a single security feature, he said,
as it was designed to be totally open to let users connect to other
systems. Furthermore, the security kernel of the Windows NT server
software was written before the Internet, and the Windows Server
2003 software was written before buffer overflows became a frequent
target of recent attacks, he said.

The Internet existed long before Windows NT.  Below are URLs for the
start of Windows NT development and the early days of the Internet.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/1998/winntfs.asp
http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/brief.shtml

I expect that some of the first NT programmers weren't even born when
the ARPANET was first designed!

Buffer overflows have been around long before Windows Server 2003.
Below is a URL for an explanation of buffer overflows.  It documents
the first wide-spread buffer-overflow based attack as occurring in
1989, being mostly forgotten until 1995, and then becoming more widely
known. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

Another of the earliest well-known buffer overflows was the "ping of
death", which was able to kill almost every machine on the Internet
apart from OS/2 and Macintosh systems.  Microsoft should recall this
one well as there were two variants, the first MS patch only fixed one
of them so there was a second round of DoS attacks on NT machines.
http://www.insecure.org/sploits/ping-o-death.html

The risks of buffer overflows were well known to NT users long before
the development of Windows Server 2003!

"Almost all the attacks on our software are legacy attacks and the
points of the system that can talk to older versions of our
software," Aucsmith said. "If you want more secure software,
upgrade," he added.

MS has had a long history of introducing new features that permit new
methods of attack.  Previewing messages that have executable content
in Outlook.  ActiveX in IE.

"These tools are so good I'm afraid we'll see more zero-day
attacks," Aucsmith said.

Of course we will!  Until people realise that writing secure software
is necessary the number of attacks will increase.

--

-=-

Forwarded from: Mark Hahn <MHahn () TCBTech com>