Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Solaris Flaw Leaves Machines Open to Attacks

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:57:51 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: matthew patton <pattonme () yahoo com>

--- InfoSec News <isn () c4i org> wrote:

By Dennis Fisher
September 16, 2003

There is a serious security flaw in several versions of both Solaris
and Trusted Solaris that make it possible for virtually any remote or

local user to gain root privileges on a vulnerable machine.

so all that NSA code-review and all that jaz to get the "trusted"
certification didn't come across this bug eh? So, what's the cert
worth then? IMO zilch.

The problem lies in the Solstice AdminSuite, a set of tools Sun
Microsystems Inc. includes with the operating system that allows
administrators to perform remote administration tasks.

And a tool I hate with a passion. Actually any obligatory GUI tool is
something I despise when the commandline is perfectly capable.

The sadmind daemon is installed by default on most default
installations of Solaris.

and unfortunately I'd wager that 98% of installed systems are default.
Pity despite the YEARS of security people trying to hammer home the
concept, few admins bother to strip their boxes of EVERYTHING that is
not specifically, absolutely necessary. Will it ever end?