Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Industry group wants DHS agency to review deal with Microsoft (2 Messages)

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 08:15:04 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Brooks Isoldi <bjisoldi () acsu buffalo edu>

Anyone subscribing to mailing lists like Bugtraq or the Secunia
Security Advisories knows that there are hundreds of new
vulnerabilities discovered every week in pretty much every
application and operating system around.

        I beg to differ.  I think if you check how many remote-code
execution exploits there have been for OpenBSD, you will be hard
pressed to find more than a small handfull (one??).  I also think that
just because ALL software has had *SOME* bugs, doesn't mean we should
be content with just any of them.

        So under your reasoning, a home security system which has
systematically failed to protect the occupants of the home,
systematically failed to alert the proper authorities in time and
whose company has systematically failed to fix the problems, just
letting their clients get robbed, raped and murdered for years because
they don't *NEED* to fix the problems in order to keep making money;
should continue to be used, even by customers who are in DESPERATE
need of top-notch security, all because the companies security history
is irrelevant because they are the biggest company and therefore the
most targetted?  Come on...

When you buy a car...don't you take a look at the history of that line
of cars?  Have they been subject to faulty wiring, does it have a
history of blowing up, etc.  I will assume you are rational enough to
not be razzled and dazzled by the glitz and glamour that car companies
use to lure us in like sheep.

Brooks