Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - October 20th 2003

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 05:10:38 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  October 20th, 2003                            Volume 4, Number 42n |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Incident
Response Tools For Unix," "Transparent, Bridging and In-line Firewall
Devices," "Roll Your Own Firewall with Netfilter," and "10 steps to a
successful security policy."

---- >> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte << ----

Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get a FREE
Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache SSL
security needs.

 Click Command:
http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/newad_redirect.pl?id=vertad_thawteapache

---

LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
This week, advisories were released for glibc, tomcat4, sane, XFree86,
sendmail, and openssl. The distributors include Conectiva, Debian,
Mandrake, and NetBSD.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-8138.html

EnGarde GDSN Subscription Price Reduction -
Guardian Digital, the world's premier open source security company,
announced today that they will be reducing the annual subscription cost of
the Guardian Digital Secure Network for EnGarde Community users from $229
to $60 for a limited time.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-151.html

---

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Incident Response Tools For Unix, Part Two: File-System Tools
October 17th, 2003

This is the second article in a three part series on tools that are useful
during incident response and investigation after a compromise has occurred
on a Linux, OpenBSD, or Solaris system. The first article focused on
system tools, this one focuses on file system tools, and the next article
will discuss network and other tools.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-8140.html

* Secure Coding: Principles & Practices
October 17th, 2003

The book consists of six chapters that closely follow a typical software
development process or methodology known as the waterfall development
methodology or Systems Development Lifecycle Model (SDLC) that includes
the following phases: architecture definition, design, implementation,
operations and finally automation and testing.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-8145.html

* Spam filtering with GNU/Linux, Postfix, procmail, and SpamAssassin
October 15th, 2003

With GNU/Linux and some new and old favorites you can reduce the amount of
email spam your customers, employees, and personal mail readers receive.
This step-by-step guide shows you how to install procmail and SpamAssassin
and how to configure the Postfix mail transport agent to mark potential
spam before it reaches your mail program.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-8126.html

* Can your systems really benefit from penetration testing?
October 14th, 2003

Something was wrong with the Web server. It was nearly 5:30 p.m., and no
mail had been delivered for roughly an hour. When I logged on, I
discovered that the disk partition dedicated to incoming e-mail was pegged
at 102 percent of capacity.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8114.html

* Linux and Unix Security Portable Reference
October 13th, 2003

The intended audience for this book is primarily IT professionals who have
some experience in systems administration and security. The book is
organized into logical sections: Part 1 deals with hacking techniques and
defenses, Part 2 deals with host hardening, and Part 3 contains special
topics. Each part is divided into chapters that follow a logical
progression.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-8112.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Attackers May Lurk Inside The Firewall
October 17th, 2003

Corporations should be as concerned about personal computers inside the
network perimeter as those riding its boundary, warns Symantec's security
team.  Vincent Weafer, senior director of Symantec Security Response, said
cyber-attackers are shifting their efforts from outside the intranet
boundary to inside.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-8139.html

* Computer and Network Security Continues as Prime Concern
October 16th, 2003

Computer and network security risks continue to plague IT managers and
network administrators as both the sheriffs and the outlaws of security
are finding new ways to penetrate and defend IT assets. It is clear that
security technologies, like other IT methodologies, are ever-evolving.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8131.html

* Transparent, Bridging and In-line Firewall Devices
October 16th, 2003

There are many tools we use as network and security professionals to build
a secure network. Routers, virtual private networks, intrusion detection
systems and vulnerability scanners are regularly employed to tackle this
challenging task. Many would agree that the foundation of such a defense
is the firewall.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-8133.html

* Intrusion detection should be a function, not a product
October 15th, 2003

Intrusion detection's permanent placement in the Trough of Disillusionment
of the Gartner Hype Cycle for Information Security does not mean that it
is obsolete. Intrusion detection should be incorporated into other
products instead of being implemented as a stand-alone product.  In a
recent report, "Hype Cycle for Information Security, 2003," Gartner stated
that "intrusion detection systems are a market failure.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-8124.html

* Security concerns hamper corporate Wi-Fi
October 14th, 2003

Firms that are unconvinced about the wisdom of installing an 802.11b
network may find their employees decide to rectify the situation with a
trip to Dixons The booming enthusiasm for wireless connectivity among
office workers is proving a headache for IT managers.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-8115.html

* Roll Your Own Firewall with Netfilter
October 13th, 2003

Every self-respecting Linux guru should be familiar with firewalls and how
to install and configure them. With this in mind, Linux gurus also should
be curious about how firewalls function and how to build a firewall of his
or her own.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-8110.html

+------------------------+
| General Security News: |
+------------------------+

* A Tech Veteran's Security Warning
October 18th, 2003

Critical-infrastructure security was the main topic at the recent annual
meeting of the International Information Systems Security Certification
Consortium, known as (ISC). The consortium is a nonprofit agency dedicated
to training and certifying security professionals.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-8146.html

* The Bernstein Cryptography Case Is Dismissed
October 17th, 2003

This inconclusive ending of the Bernstein case is a consequence of the
government's policy in cases where there are first amendment challenges to
restrictions on the publication of software to claim that they have no
intention of enforcing the law as it is written and thus getting the cases
dismissed as moot.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-8144.html

* 10 steps to a successful security policy
October 15th, 2003

There are two parts to any security policy. One deals with preventing
external threats to maintain the integrity of the network. The second
deals with reducing internal risks by defining appropriate use of network
resources.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-8129.html

* Improve awareness of security issues
October 14th, 2003

It's almost a cliche that end-user awareness of security issues is
critical to keeping a company secure. But recent research from the Meta
Group confirms it and offers suggestions for improving the situation.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-8116.html