Information Security News mailing list archives

Symantec CEO Warns of Drop in Internet Use

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 00:09:52 -0600 (CST)

November 19, 2003
By Dennis Fisher

LAS VEGAS - If software vendors and security companies don't get their
act together and start producing better products, users will begin
dropping off the Internet out of sheer frustration, predicted John
Thompson, chairman and CEO of Symantec Corp., in his keynote speech at
Comdex here Wednesday.

Thompson challenged vendors to begin turning out more secure software
solutions and to take the initiative in trying to protect customers
from attackers and themselves. If that doesn't come to pass, then
Internet users—especially less savvy consumers—will reduce the amount
of time they spend on the Internet and only use it when they
absolutely need to.

"There may come a point where users see technology as more of a
liability than an asset," Thompson said. "They'll just use the Web
when they have to."

In a speech that touched lightly on a wide range of topics but didn't
delve deeply into any, Thompson saved most of his vigor for an attack
on the way that lawmakers and technology companies are handling the
spam problem. He was sharply critical of recent anti-spam legislation
efforts on both the federal and state level and said that government
regulation is not the right answer to the problem.

"I predict that the spam legislation will be unmanageable and cause
confusion among consumers," Thompson said. "Government regulation is
not the answer. It will stifle innovation. You need to ask yourselves
why some in our industry would advocate this."

Thompson expanded on this theme after his speech, saying that spam is
a unique animal, but one that can be tamed through some fairly simple
changes in the technology and economics surrounding mass mailing.
Drawing a parallel between e-mail and postal mail, Thompson said the
reason that consumers aren't buried under a mountain of junk letters
is that companies have to pay to send postal mail. He suggested that a
similar model would help throttle the overwhelming levels of spam
coursing through the Internet.

"There is no cost [to send spam]; therefore, people send all kinds of
junk. Service providers can fix this by changing the economics of the
situation," he said. "Don't rely on legislative initiatives. A simple
technology solution solves this problem. You know what's coming
through your network. If someone is sending 100,000 e-mails, block
them. I don't understand why you need to appeal to the government."

Thompson also was dismissive of Computer Associates International
Inc.'s announcement that it will give users free copies of its
anti-virus software as part of Microsoft Corp.'s Protect Your PC
campaign.

"We've seen desperate acts by desperate people before," Thompson said.
"If you don't have much of a share, it doesn't hurt you to give it
away. We don't believe that securing the infrastructure is
philanthropic. We'd like to get a return. But we're always ready to
compete."

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.