Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Advisory Watch - May 16th 2003

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 01:33:08 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
|  May 16th, 2002                           Volume 4, Number 19a |

  Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
               dave () linuxsecurity com     ben () linuxsecurity com

Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
vulnerability.

This week, advisories were released for kernel, mgetty, slocate,
evolution, kernel, shadow, kopte, kopte, xinetd, mysql, kde, xinetd,
kernel, tcpdump, and openssh.  The distributors include SCO, Conectiva,
Guardian Digital, Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, and TurboLinux.

Your editors would like to thank our readers for the wonderful feedback
that we received from the last issue. All suggestions have been noted and
we are making efforts to address each and every one. For those of you who
have not yet had a chance to respond, there is still time! What are we
looking for? We are looking for suggestions on how to make this newsletter
better. Suggestions can range from tips on presentation to the type and
amount of information included with each advisory. We are making this
effort to serve you, the community, better. Help us take a step forward,
let us know what it would take to make this newsletter perfect for you. We
look forward to hearing from you! Please send all suggestions to:
news () linuxsecurity com

This week, several interesting advisories were released. Most notably were
the recent updates to the kernel. At the time of this writing, only
EnGarde and Red Hat have released updates to the "ioperm" system call bug.
It does not restrict privileges properly, which may result in a local user
being able to access the I/O ports on a system. In addition, an attacker
sending packets with a specially chosen forged source address can cause a
large number of collisions in the kernel's networking hash tables, which
results in a denial of service.

I recently had an interesting conversation with Dave Wreski, my co-editor.
We discussed the changes that will be made to the United States $20 bills
to thwart counterfeiters. Dave brought up the point that the US Federal
Reserveis implementing some changes that will not be made public. His
thoughts were, "Would giving store clerks and the general public more
information to recognize a bogus bill help? Or would releasing this
information give too much to the counterfeiters and improve their
capabilities?" I found this discussion interesting because it has the same
underlying question as the security of open source software. Most people
reading this newsletter would probably agree that security can not be
gained through obscurity.

Until next time, stay secure!
Benjamin Thomas

At the RealWorld Linux Expo in Toronto, Guardian Digital launched the next
generation of the Community edition of EnGarde Secure Linux - the secure
and easy to manage system for building a complete Internet presence while
protecting your information assets.

Download the FREE trial today!
http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=freetrial

* Comprehensive SPAM Protection! - Guardian Digital's Secure Mail Suite is
unparalleled in security, ease of management, and features. Open source
technology constantly adapts to new threats. Email firewall, simplified
administration, automatically updated.

 --> http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2

Days of the Honeynet: Attacks, Tools, Incidents - Among other benefits,
running a honeynet makes one acutely aware about "what is going on" out
there. While placing a network IDS outside one's firewall might also
provide a similar flood of alerts, a honeypot provides a unique
prospective on what will be going on when a related server is compromised
used by the intruders.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-141.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/13/2003 - kernel
   kmod/ptrace root exploit

   The kernel module loader in the Linux kernel allows local users to
   gain root  privileges by using ptrace to attach to a child process
   that is spawned by the kernel.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-3248.html

 5/14/2003 - mgetty
   buffer overflow vulnerability

   mgetty will overflow an internal buffer if the caller name
   reported by the modem is too long.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/caldera_advisory-3251.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/9/2003 - slocate
   buffer overflow vulnerability

   It has been reported that slocate contains a buffer overflow
   vulnerability which could be used by a local attacker to obtain
   the privileges of the slocate user.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3246.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/14/2003 - evolution
   multiple vulnerabilities

   Core Security Technologies found several vulnerabilities in
   Evolution <= 1.2.2 and in the gtkhtml library.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/connectiva_advisory-3252.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/15/2003 - 'sudo' heap corruption vulnerability
   multiple vulnerabilities

   There is a heap corruption vulnerability in sudo which may allow
   an attacker to execute arbitrary commands.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/engarde_advisory-3257.html

 5/15/2003 -  'gnupg' key validation bug
   multiple vulnerabilities

   A key validation bug was recently discovered in the GNU Privacy
   Guard (GPG) which would cause keys with more then one user ID to
   trust all user ID's with the amount of trust given to the
   most-valid user ID.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/engarde_advisory-3258.html

 5/15/2003 - kernel
   updates

   This kernel update fixes several bugs and vulnerabilities.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/engarde_advisory-3259.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/13/2003 - shadow
   user id vulnerability

   Updated shadow package that contains a workarkaround for OpenSSH
   user identification problem.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3249.html

 5/14/2003 - kopte
   arbitrary code execution vulnerability

   The GnuPG plugin in kopete before 0.6.2 does not properly cleanse
   the command line when executing gpg, which allows remote attackers
   to execute arbitrary commands.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3253.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/9/2003 - kopte
   gunpg arbitrary code execution

   This vulnerabiliy is in the GnuPG plugin that allows for users to
   send each other GPG-encrypted instant messages.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3247.html

 5/15/2003 - xinetd
   denial of service vulnerability

   A vulnerability was discovered in xinetd where memory was
   allocated and never freed if a connection was refused for any
   reason.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3260.html

 5/15/2003 - mysql
   root vulnerability

   In MySQL 3.23.55 and earlier, MySQL would create world-writeable
   files and allow mysql users to gain root privileges by using the
   "SELECT * INTO OUTFILE" operator to overwrite a configuration
   file, which could cause mysql to run as root upon restarting the
   daemon.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3261.html

+---------------------------------+

 5/13/2003 - kde
   multiple vulnerabilities

   KDE fails in multiple places to properly quote URLs and file names
   before passing them to a command shell.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3250.html

 5/14/2003 - xinetd
   denial of service vulnerability

   Updated xinetd packages that fix a security vulnerability are now
   avaliable.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3254.html

 5/14/2003 - kernel
   multiple vulnerabilities

   Updated kernel packages that fix a remote denial of service
   vulnerability in the TCP/IP stack, and a local privilege
   vulnerability, are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3255.html

 5/15/2003 - tcpdump
   privilege dropping vulnerability

   Updated tcpdump packages that correctly drop privileges on startup
   are now available.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3262.html

 5/14/2003 - openssh
   user id vulnerability

   The opessh immediately returns an error message if the user does
   not exist on openssh server. As a result, it is possible to check
   user's validity by measuring response time.
   http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3256.html