Information Security News mailing list archives

Hibbing man will fight hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 03:43:08 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/6014532.htm

BY STEVE KUCHERA
NEWS TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
June 05, 2003

Hibbing native Mike Swanson has long enjoyed computers.

Now he's on the path to protecting them.

Swanson, a recent University of Wisconsin-Superior graduate, is
entering the federal Cyber Corps program, which will pay for his
master's degree. In exchange, he'll work for the government for at
least two years, defending the country against Internet hackers and
terrorists.

"It's new, it's cutting-edge," he said. "It's ironic that part of our
learning curve is to learn how to hack computers so we can prevent
future hacking."

Attacks on the Internet and computers are increasing. According to the
Computer Emergency Response Team/Coordination Center at Carnegie
Mellon University, 82,094 such incidents were reported last year. That
compares with 55,100 during 2001 and 21,756 during 2000.

"It's very easy to attack the Internet -- there are no boundaries,"
said Vipin Kumar, director of the Army High Performance Computing
Research Center. "You sit anywhere and attack a computer anywhere in
the world."

The center is working with the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities to
develop an intrusion detection system to help prevent cyberattacks on
computer systems. Luckily, Kumar said, many of the attacks are
launched by solitary hackers who are bored and doing it for their own
pleasure.

"If an organized entity launches these attacks, they will be meant to
do big damage," he said. "And the amount of damage that can be done is
enormous."

To help defend against such attacks, the National Science Foundation
announced in May 2001 that it would pay for Scholarship-for-Service
programs at six colleges, including the University of Tulsa in Tulsa,
Okla.

Swanson is one of just 12 students accepted for Tulsa's Cyber Corps
program next fall. The federal government will pay the students'
tuition and room and board, travel to conferences and a stipend.

Between his two years of graduate school, Swanson will learn firsthand
about computer security at a federal agency during a summer
internship. After he graduates with a master's degree in computer
science as well as several federal computer security certificates,
he'll go to work for the federal government.

Swanson was excited when he learned the government had accepted him to
the Cyber Corps program.

"I was just blown away," he said. "They pay for everything.

"The prof at Tulsa put it to me in this way," Swanson said. " 'You can
go to work for Microsoft and make six figures in a few years. Or you
can go to work for the government and not make as much money, but
you're going to have a life. You're not going to have red eyes,
sitting in front of a computer monitor for 16 hours a day. You're
going to have time for family, vacations.' "

Swanson, 23, decided in high school to make computers his career.

"I took a programming class, and I was fairly good at it," he said.

However, his interest in computers began earlier.

"When I was about 6, 7, 8, I use to copy programs out of a book,"
Swanson said. "I had no clue what I was doing. I would just type each
character. I would be excited just to see what would happen on the
screen."

Despite his interest in computers, Swanson hadn't planned on going to
college, far less to grad school.

"Then I went to HCC and got my AA degree," he said, referring to
Hibbing Community College. "Then, nearing the end of my schooling at
HCC, I thought I might as well look for a four-year degree."

He decided to pursue a degree in computer science at UWS because of
the school's small size and reputation for one-on-one attention.

It's because of one of his instructors, Victor Piotrowski, that
Swanson learned about the Cyber Corps program and will now work toward
a master's degree. Piotrowski once asked Swanson to perform some
research on computer security and the Cyber Corps program.

"One day he said to me, 'Have you thought about graduate school?' " I
said 'not really.' Here I was, nearing the end of my bachelor's's
degree and I'm going on again. It has to end sometime soon."

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.