Information Security News mailing list archives

RIAA Threatens Orgy of Lawsuits

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:51:54 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Ejovi Nuwere <ejovi () ejovi net>

It will be interesting to see how ISPs respond when the subpoenas go
out. I would also be curious in knowing how automated this process is
going to be? Manually tracking users connections (during file downloads)
would be awfully tedious. If you start the download with one user but
finish with another, which one do you go after?

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,59391,00.html

10:42 AM Jun. 25, 2003 PT

A recording-industry trade group said Wednesday it plans to sue hundreds
of individuals who illegally distribute copyright songs over the
Internet, expanding its antipiracy fight into millions of homes.

The Recording Industry Association of America said it hopes to curb
illegal song downloading by tracking down the heaviest users of popular
"peer to peer" services like Kazaa and suing them for thousands of
dollars in damages.

"We're going to begin taking names and preparing lawsuits against
peer-to-peer network users who are illegally making available a
substantial number of music files to millions of other computer users,"
RIAA President Cary Sherman said in a conference call.

--
http://www.ejovi.net
http://www.hackercracker.net

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.