Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Samsung bans camera phones in workplace

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 04:43:32 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Russell Coker <russell () coker com au>

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:28, InfoSec News wrote:
"Some pointed out that this is a violation of individuals' rights to
purchase and own camera phones, but the concern about possible leakage
of core technologies is so great that we have decided to ban camera
phones in the workplace," a Samsung executive said.

How is that a violation of people's rights?

Surely it's quite normal and reasonable for a company to have a list
of activities that are not work related which may not be performed in
their offices.  Company regulations affect how you may dress, what you
may do in your lunch break, and many topics of conversation are banned
as they may cause offense to other workers.

If someone has a personal (non-company) mobile phone that they want to
use during office hours then insisting that it be an approved model
does not seem to be a great burden.

If I was employed by Samsung I would want to get a special deal on one
of their mobile phones, but it wouldn't bother me if I was forced to
use my old non-camera phone while at work.  Changing a SIM between
phones is easy enough.

--

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.