Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - June 30th 2003

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 06:10:40 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  June 30th, 2003                               Volume 4, Number 26n |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Invisibly
Protecting your Digital Assets with Public Key Infrastructure," "Securing
PHP: Step by Step," "Stumbler Mapping Networks For Future Attacks," and
"TCP/IP Connection Cutting on Linux Firewalls and Routers."

LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
This week, advisories were released for buzilla, ethereal,
tcptraceroute, Netscape, ypserv, XFree86, xpdf, orville-write,
eldav, xbl, webfs, osh, and foomatic. The distributors include
Conectiva, Debian, Mandrake, RedHat, TurboLinux, and YellowDog.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/vuln-newsletter.html

FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <<
Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get
a FREE Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache
SSL security needs.

 Click here to download our Free guide:
 http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=thawte24

FEATURE: Real-Time Alerting with Snort
Real-time alerting is a feature of an IDS or any other monitoring
application that notifies a person of an event in an acceptably short
amount of time. The amount of time that is acceptable is different
for every person.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-144.html

* Comprehensive SPAM Protection! - Guardian Digital's Secure Mail Suite is
unparalleled in security, ease of management, and features. Open source
technology constantly adapts to new threats. Email firewall, simplified
administration, automatically updated.

 --> http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2

LINSECURITY.COM FEATURE:
Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction
By: Alberto Gonzalez

Intrusion Detection is the process and methodology of inspecting data for
malicious, inaccurate or anomalous activity. At the most basic levels
there are two forms of Intrusion Detection Systems that you will
encounter: Host and Network based.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-143.html

 #### Concerned about the next threat?  ####
 #### EnGarde is the undisputed winner! ####

 Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
 Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice
 award thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what
 the other Linux vendors are not telling you.

 http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Sorting The Ham From The Spam
June 26th, 2003

Would you use the phone if you had to listen to a 10-second brothel
advertisement every time you made a call? That is the size of the
challenge that confronts email: beat spam, or the medium will forever fall
short of its potential.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-7545.html

* Invisibly Protecting your Digital Assets with Public Key
Infrastructure
June 24th, 2003

http://store.guardiandigital.com/html/eng/products/software/esp_overview.shtml

Your company is negotiating a big deal with a partner, making you a bit
nervous about the security of exchanging documents via email. There is a
non-disclosure agreement in place, but you'd like to be absolutely certain
that only the recipients can see the plans for your company's new product
initiative.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-7529.html

* Securing PHP: Step by Step
June 24th, 2003

In my previous article ("Securing Apache: Step-by-Step") I described the
method of securing the Apache web server against unauthorized access from
the Internet. Thanks to the described method it was possible to achieve a
high level of security, but only when static HTML pages were served.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-7532.html

* A Dictionary For Vulnerabilities
June 24th, 2003

If you ever read security vulnerabilities you eventually run into a
notation looking like "CVE-2002-0947." This is a standard naming
convention for vulnerabilities called Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
(CVE). CVE is administered by a company called Mitre, a non-profit company
that operates governmental research facilities and other such cool things.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-7530.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Stumbler Mapping Networks For Future Attacks
June 26th, 2003

The recently discovered Stumbler network-mapping tool represents a variety
of malware that leaves enterprises with little in the way of defense,
other than to lock down networks and employ intrusion detection, experts
said.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-7542.html

* TCP/IP Connection Cutting on Linux Firewalls and Routers
(Introducing "Cutter 1.02")
June 25th, 2003

Network security administrators sometimes need to be able to abort TCP/IP
connections routed over their firewalls on demand. This would allow them
to terminate connections such as SSH tunnels or VPNs left in place by
employees over night, abort hacker attacks when they are detected, stop
high bandwidth consuming downloads - etc.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-7539.html

* Doing It All with OpenSSH, Part 2
June 24th, 2003

Welcome back to the Sysadmin's Corner and the continuing saga of secure
communications, SSH-style. Logging in to an SSH server is easy enough and
provides you with secure communications, while still opening you up to the
whole world. You could set up a firewall that allows in certain IP
addresses only to port 22, but that presents another problem.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-7534.html

* Taming Wi-Fi
June 24th, 2003

Wi-Fi networks have, up until this point, been a bit like the Wild West:
exciting, but difficult to control and keep safe. Now, a host of new
management and security options are springing up as Wi-Fi penetrates
corporate environments. Read on to find out what's in store.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-7535.html

* RIP Linux Router Project
June 23rd, 2003

It seems as though the operating system that helped to create the embedded
Linux marketplace, the Linux Router Project (LRP), is dead. The website
provides more details.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-7523.html

* Wireless Security Entangles HIPAA
June 23rd, 2003

Although most health organizations still have another 22 months to comply
with new federal security standards, securing wireless networks may pose a
problem as they near the deadline.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-7525.html

* Tracking Down the Phantom Host
June 23rd, 2003

Most information systems security professionals are familiar with the
procedures for identifying malicious traffic among their routine data, and
many of the same professionals are familiar with the forensic procedures
required once you have identified a compromised host.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-7522.html

+------------------------+
| General Security News: |
+------------------------+

* How To Hire a Security Guru
June 26th, 2003

As software flaws, wireless network holes and data thieves continue to
make companies vulnerable to technological bad guys, a growing need for
security experts has driven more IT workers toward this constantly
changing field.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-7544.html

* Federal Government Has A Ways To Go To Secure Systems
June 25th, 2003

Since January, the State Department has wiped out more than 155,000
viruses on its IT systems. Between Oct. 1 and May 31, the first eight
months of fiscal year 2003, the department recorded more than 700 attempts
to hack its IT systems.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-7538.html

* House Questions Federal IT Security
June 25th, 2003

Members of a House panel expressed frustration Tuesday over the progress
of federal agencies in securing their IT systems. Agency heads and other
officials responded by saying progress was being made but significant
problems remain.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-7540.html

* Setting The Rules For ISPs and Spammers
June 23rd, 2003

Peter Hall's troubles with spam began the week of Aug. 5, 1997, when the
New York-based independent film producer learned that his EarthLink
account had been shut off without warning.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-7524.html