Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Master Key Copying Revealed

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:37:22 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Robert Darlington <bobd () lanl gov>

I recently reviewed Matt Blaze's paper on Rights Amplification in
Master-Keyed Mechanical Locks.  While it's very interesting, it's
nothing new.  Matt very carefully describes 100+ year old techniques
that every locksmith that has taken an ALOA master keying course
knows.  When I worked as a locksmith, I had a very interesting
introduction to this technique and a few others.  We went to the
annual locksmith convention in Vegas.  While there, we worked out the
master key code by using 4 or 5 other floor change keys in the hotel.
Sometimes this is an easy way to make a quick buck when you explain to
hotel management just how insecure their locks are.  If you're lucky,
you score a contract to replace all the locks in the hotel.

Of course, you fall back to trial and error if you only have one key
to start with, and to test your newly cut keys you have to try them in
multiple locks, etc. (Just because 5 different keys fit the lock to
YOUR room, doesnt mean that a single one will fit the room across the
hall from you).

Over the years, I've found that locks only keep out honest people so
layered security is a good thing.  Nine times out of ten, if the front
door is locked, the 2nd floor window is open. :)

                        -Bob
--
Robert E. Darlington III              bobd () lanl gov
Los Alamos National Laboratory        (505)667-2719