Information Security News mailing list archives

No Christmas patches from Microsoft

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 03:12:08 -0600 (CST)

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,88045,00.html

Story by Joris Evers
DECEMBER 10, 2003
COMPUTERWORLD

Microsoft Corp. has an early holiday gift for systems administrators:
no monthly security patch release this month.

"It is a happy coincidence, but it is not related to Christmas," said
Iain Mulholland, security program manager at Microsoft. "We have made
a commitment to release [the monthly patch package] when we're ready,
when we have quality patches. There is simply nothing that has passed
the bar yet from a quality perspective for release in December."

In October, Microsoft moved to a monthly cycle for security patches,
replacing a system of weekly updates that the company said had become
too burdensome and complex for customers. The monthly updates also
allow Microsoft to reduce the number of patches by folding multiple
vulnerabilities affecting a single platform into one patch.

Systems administrators can expect a security update from Microsoft on
Jan. 13, Mulholland said. However, that doesn't mean patch managers
can sign off and hit the shopping mall or relax at home. If there's an
immediate risk to customers, Microsoft will break its monthly cycle
and issue an emergency patch.

Skipping a month doesn't mean all systems are secure. There are
security vulnerabilities that Microsoft is working to patch, which
means systems are at risk. For example, Microsoft is still
investigating several flaws in Internet Explorer that were detailed
last month by security company Secunia Ltd.

However, hackers don't seem to be exploiting any of those
vulnerabilities right now, said Russ Cooper, surgeon general at
TruSecure Corp. and moderator of the NTBugtraq security mailing list.

"Christmas or not, we all monitor constantly and keep our ears to the
ground. Should we see some activity over the next few weeks targeting
a specific vulnerability and that needs to shake Microsoft up a bit, I
am sure they would be responsive," he said.

Jupiter Research senior analyst Joe Wilcox agreed that systems
administrators need to remain on guard.

"For many security managers, no new patches to test and deploy will be
like getting an early Christmas present. Ho, ho, ho, Santa's here,"
Wilcox said. "But that's no guarantee they won't later find coal in
their stockings. Microsoft still has to get through December without
some unexpected vulnerability necessitating an unscheduled patch."

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.