Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: towards a taxonomy of Information Assurance

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:25:11 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Freddie Beaver <frebea44 () earthlink net>

ok, Mark, please be kind to academia :-)

Academic research needs to take the obvious, scrutinize it to pieces,
and attempt to statistically validate it or hopefully find a
questionable flaw that will give fodder for a dissertation or
tenure-required publishing. In this process someone may actually
"improve the wheel".

I side with you on the fact that practitioners don't need to spend
time creating their own taxonomies when CC, Cobit, etc are available,
but the academics are required to. I should know, I've been on all
three sides of the fence: academia, corporate, and defense!

FYI for all:  I'm looking into doing a statistical (scientific)
validation of Cobit. If anyone knows of any pre-existing studies or
survey instruments related to it, I would appreciate the feedback.

Beav

Freddie E. Beaver
6167 Lakefront Dr. N.
Horn Lake, MS 38637