Information Security News mailing list archives

Duplicate/Triplicate Messages

From: William Knowles <wk () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:55:57 -0500 (CDT)

In case you didn't notice in between your usual amount mail offering
to either make your Johnson or b00bs larger, generic v1arga, and Re:
My Details, we had a mail loop, not once, not twice, but three times
from two separate parties.

Particularly ironic in my book was that one party was from the
navy.mil (and from a NMCI gateway) was sending out the FCW article on
the "good Samaritan" virus clogging up the NMCI network.

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0818/web-nmci-08-19-03.asp

Diehard, longtime InfoSec News subscribers will thankfully have
recognized that the ONE common denominator to mail loops on the list,
and it falls down to Microsoft SMTPSVC.

So even though articles have been seen and transmitted to InfoSec
News, (many times days before) it gets re-transmitted because the
stupid Micro$oft servers will apparently resend to any address found
on the To: line.

Who needs the Osama bin Virus to turn off the SCADA networks, I can
only imagine what would happen if you let this clog up a few internal
Homeland Defense mailing lists with 10+MB copies of PowerPoint slides
over and over. This is truly an annoying "feature" with Microsoft mail
servers and I wish someone would address this in the very near future.

Blocks are in place, (Two for the Navy) and both users have been
expeditiously booted from the list.

This is the only ISN message for today, I have been deleting pretty
much all the mail coming to isn () c4i org, which has tallied in the
4000+ message range, not to mention mail from dozens of other defense
contractors that haven't patched their systems for the viruses making
the rounds, otherwise why else would I be getting mail titled
"Re: Your application." when I never sent my resume to them. :)

Thanks for your time and patience!

William Knowles
wk () c4i org

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org
Help C4I.org with a donation: http://www.c4i.org/contribute.html