Information Security News mailing list archives

Madonna's net amused

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:49:14 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003180883,00.html

By SIMON WHEELER
Apr 20, 2003

A BID by Madonna to trick fans who download music from the internet
without paying backfired - when a hacker caused mayhem on her website.

All 11 tracks from her new album American Life appeared to be posted
on Madonna.com for downloading.

But when the files were played back listeners heard Madonna saying:
"What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

One angry computer buff got revenge by hacking into the website and
adding his own message, saying: "This is what the f*** I think I'm
doing."

He then left links to a site where the songs really could be
downloaded for free.

Madonna.com was taken down for several hours yesterday so the message
and links could be removed.

Sceptical music industry insiders reckon the whole thing might have
been a huge publicity stunt by Madonna, 44.

Music writer Paul Cashmere said: "If it was a stunt then it was
clever.

"If not, someone angry with the Madonna download strategy went to a
lot of trouble."

The music industry has been plagued by websites allowing people to
avoid paying for new music by downloading.

The original downloading site Napster was shut down after legal action
in America, but a host of similar sites are still operating.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.