Information Security News mailing list archives

Wireless Security Steps Up at West Point, Home

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 00:53:06 -0600 (CST)

http://eprairie.com/news/viewnews.asp?newsletterID=4540

Spiro Papadopoulos
ePrairie.com
4/3/2003

CHICAGO - In last week's column, I blithely mentioned that military
use of 802.11 isn't ready for prime time due to security gaps in
current technology.

While I maintain that a rush to deploy Wi-Fi on highly data-sensitive
networks in both the private and government sector is still a ways
away, there is no denying that most organizations that have installed
or are planning to deploy wireless networks are in desperate need
(whether they are aware of it or not) of adequately securing their
networks.

Maybe we should look to the government for some help. The U.S.
Military Academy at West Point has recently rolled out a secure
802.11a wireless network in its classrooms that is allegedly producing
a much richer classroom experience for a thousand or so cadets. I
suspect the gravitational pull toward Web surfing during a Monday
morning physics lecture is quite strong.

So how did West Point address security? It chose a wireless product
from Cranite Systems. The product, called the "Wireless Wall Software
Suite," actually consists of three components:

1. A policy server that works with an existing directory and supports
   the characteristics of each wireless connection on the network.

2. An access controller that encrypts and decrypts authorized traffic
   and allows users to roam across subnets in the network.

3. Client software that ensures a secure tunnel to the access
   controller.

Marc Sokol, a partner at Chicago-based venture capital firm JK&B
Capital, says he is impressed with the technology so much so that his
firm participated in Cranite's most recent third round of funding. He
says Wireless Wall is unique because "it's a layer 2 software solution
that enables users to roam between access points seamlessly. A
solution must be layer 2 [for it to be secure]."

He's not the only one who thinks highly of the product. Last week,
Cranite was granted Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS)
certification by the U.S. government. The certification is a notable
milestone because the government mandates this seal of approval for
its own cryptography-related purchases.

The approval now opens a big door to government coffers. In fact,
Cranite is partnering with HP to sell the solution to government
agencies and is working with other value-added resellers (VARs) and
system integrators to sell the solution to enterprise businesses.

While that's great news for those who can afford the protection, what
about security on home wireless networks? For the most part, users
still don't have many options beyond traditional wired equivalent
privacy (WEP) and virtual private networks (VPNs).

I'm bringing this up as a reminder that WEP is still a good option for
warding off the casual intruder and should be enabled at your home or
office in the absence of a more robust security system. Think of it
like having The Club on your network. Just keep in mind that a
determined thief will find a way around almost any security measure.

Speaking of home networks, I'd be remiss if I didn't comment on
Cisco's recent acquisition of Linksys. In the short term, it's a solid
and easy deal. With its strong presence in the home and small office
networking market, Linksys will complement Cisco's dominance at the
high end of the market.

Seems simple enough. For now, Cisco has no plans on rebranding Linksys
products under the Cisco name. Linksys will currently operate as an
independent entity within Cisco. But for how long? Looking out two
years from now, the picture of the networked home becomes muddled.

A Cisco executive has recently said that the home networking market is
at an inflection point in terms of mass appeal. He is correct.

My question is whether Cisco is the right company to take advantage of
the latest must-have home item. In one respect, the answer is yes.
Since Cisco already sells high-end gear to cable companies, it's in a
good position to start striking deals with the likes of Comcast and
begin bundling equipment into people's homes.

Another part of me says this won't be so easy. Have you ever taken a
hard look at the industrial design of a Linksys access point? Though
Louis Sullivan might nod in approval, Steve Jobs must go into
convulsions when he sees one.

My point is that up until now, wireless local-area networks (LANs)
have been the domain of geeks. It has only been a recent phenomena for
non-techie people to venture out to Best Buy on their own to purchase
and install wireless LANs. That will change, though, as the systems
become easier to install.

So here we are on the cusp of mass appeal for wireless home networks.
At this point, I refuse to believe that Cisco will be best positioned
to serve those consumers in the long term.

If I had to predict a long-term winner in the home networking market
in five years, I would pick Sony because it has all the pieces to the
puzzle (gaming, content, PCs and consumer electronics). With a huge
cash horde and a proven willingness to enter emerging markets,
Microsoft would be my other pick.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.