Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Our raid on Downing St.

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 03:56:33 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: joerg () fs is uni-sb de

Quoting InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>:

Forwarded from: Rob Rosenberger <junkmail () barnowl com>

  >>TOP-secret files can be downloaded from the Prime
  >>Minister's computers in Downing Street...  Hackers
  >>use a gadget, called a WiFi (Wireless Fidelity)
  >>card, which enables them to tap into the...

Once again, I call for a law to make the act of "warchalking"
illegal here in the U.S.  Screw the First Amendment.  Possession of
(1) any WiFi device and (2) a piece of chalk should carry a
mandatory federal prison sentence of at least 20 months with no
chance of parole.

And I think we should also outlaw the sale of "weapons of war" at
Best Buy and Circuit City.  Ordinary American citizens do NOT have
an inalienable right to read top secret intelligence data.  Such
privileges extend only to those who can pass a detailed FBI
background investigation.

This was entertaining, funny, witty, a real good read with my morning
coffe.  Until I began to wonder wether the above quota was indeed
meant to be sarcastic. Please, someone drop me a line telling me that
it WAS indeed a joke? Possession of any WiFi device and chalk is a
crime? Why not take things a step further and outlaw the possession of
nmap, nessuss, airsnort? What about JtR?

I think we should outlaw the setup of insecure WiFi networks with a
mandatory federal prison sentence of at least 20 month with no chance
of parole and being force-fed "Building internet firewalls" once a
day.

Oh, and BTW:

"Cracknell estimated that this would take between one and two hours -
but it is illegal under the Telecommunications Act and possibly the
Official Secrets Act."

Seems to me that misusing WLan access is already pretty illegal in the UK.
Have a good day,

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.