Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Alberta hackers find wireless networks wide open

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 01:24:45 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Kurt Seifried <listuser () seifried org>

Actually when I did a quick wardrive of Edmonton I hit my first
wireless LAN <2 minutes from starting (but it was wep enabled, which
was good), unfortunately I found more like 75-80% were completely
insecure, and the coolest thing is I was able to get a few hits on
downtown 802.11 access points from across the river valley (so line of
sight, but a good mile or so). I also tried "wardriving" just leaving
my laptop in connect mode, i.e. not running netstumbler/etc, it
connected succesfully to wlan AP's a dozen time or so while I was
driving around (just need to convince more people to buy AP's so we
can have free mobile inet =). Driving up and down calgary trail
quickly also resulted in mass amounts of insecure wlans. Reminds me of
driving home from calgary, I was bored so turned the laptop on, while
doing 120 kph I was able to pick up two dozen wlan on highway 2 just
coming out of calgary (didn't expect that).

Kurt Seifried, kurt () seifried org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
http://seifried.org/security/

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.