Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: London man charged with making virus

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:01:14 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Kurt Seifried <listuser () seifried org>

I have never heard of this T0rn virus, does anyone have information on this?

Oh wait, are we talking about the T0rn rootkit?

Even Sophos agrees this is a rootkit and not a virus.
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojt0rnkit.html

What utter junk, unless he actively broke into systems and installed
t0rn on them he is guilty of nothing as far as I can tell (if he is we
better arrest the OpenSSH team, OpenSSL team, the guy who wrote
netcat, team TESO.....).

My "faith" in the regular press to report security related issues has
just been reaffirmed.

Kurt Seifried, kurt () seifried org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
http://seifried.org/security/

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.