Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - October 7th 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 02:01:59 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  October 7th, 2002                            Volume 3, Number 39n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Assessing
Internet Security Risk," "The Twenty Most Critical Internet Security
Vulnerabilities," "Introduction to netfilter/iptables,"  and "Evaluating
Network Intrusion Detection Signatures."

NewsForge: Guardian Digital succeeding with
Open Source Security Products

One company able to answer yes is Guardian Digital, Inc., which, according
to its Web site, is a "full-service Open Source security company ...
focused on the intelligent growth of Open Source security solutions for
Linux, including the Guardian Digital Linux Lockbox, a secure turnkey
e-business server and the secure Linux distribution EnGarde."

  http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/09/30/2022240&mode=thread&tid=2

** Concerned about the next threat? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!
Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice
award thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what
the other Linux vendors are not telling you.

 --> http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

Linux Security Week:
This week, advisories were released for fetchmail, postgresql,
dietlibc, glibc, unzip, python, tar, gv, XFree86, and heimdal. The
vendors include Conectiva, EnGarde, Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, and
SuSE.

 --> http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5832.html

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Assessing Internet Security Risk, Part Four: Custom Web
Applications
October 4th, 2002

This article is the fourth in a series that is designed to help readers to
assess the risk that their Internet-connected systems are exposed to. In
the first installment, we established the reasons for doing a technical
risk assessment.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5839.html

* Apache 1.3.27 Released: Fixes Multiple Security Vulnerabilities
October 4th, 2002

This version fixes multiple security vulnerabilities including a SysV a
SysV shared memory-based scoreboards attack, a XSS vulnerability in the
default 404 page handling hosted on a domain that allows wildcard DNS
lookups, and some possible overflows in ab.c which could be exploited by a
malicious server.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5841.html

* Creating an Anonymous FTP server with Publicfile
October 2nd, 2002

For many moons I've meant to set up an FTP server for stunnel.org. Not
because I like FTP, but because there are times even I find myself without
a web browser of any kind. The server needs to support anonymous FTP (ftp
without a password) and doesn't need to have the ability for anyone to
have 'real' logins.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5817.html

* Unix tools track hackers
October 1st, 2002

In forensic analysis, you cannot use any tools that are currently
installed on the hacked system, because those tools could have been
replaced with Trojan programs. For example, the ps program that displays
the process table could have been replaced with a Trojan ps program that
displays everything except the process of a running hacker daemon.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-5804.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* The Twenty Most Critical Internet Security Vulnerabilities
(Updated)
October 3rd, 2002

The majority of the successful attacks on operating systems come from only
a few software vulnerabilities. This can be attributed to the fact that
attackers are opportunistic, take the easiest and most convenient route,
and exploit the best-known flaws with the most effective and widely
available attack tools.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/organizations_events_article-5824.html

* Introduction to netfilter/iptables
October 2nd, 2002

The netfilter/iptables is the IP packet filtering system that is
integrated with the latest 2.4.x versions of the Linux kernel. This system
facilitates greater control over IP packet filtering and firewall
configuration on Linux systems, be they systems connected to the Internet
or a LAN, servers, or proxy servers interfacing between a LAN and the
Internet.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5818.html

* Evaluating Network Intrusion Detection Signatures, Part Two
October 2nd, 2002

In this series of articles, we present recommendations that will help
readers to evaluate the quality of network intrusion detection (NID)
signatures, either through hands-on testing or through careful
consideration of third-party product reviews and comparisons.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5815.html

+------------------------+
|  Cryptography:         |
+------------------------+

* Scientists Find Key To Water-Tight Encryption
October 3rd, 2002

UK researchers have managed to send untamperable encryption keys over long
distances, opening the way for totally secure communications.  A team of
scientists said on Wednesday they had made a major leap toward developing
secure global communications.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5826.html

+------------------------+
|  General:              |
+------------------------+

* Security: The Number One Worry For IT Pros
October 4th, 2002

An interesting study from services company Synstar landed on our desk this
morning claiming to identify the various pressures faced by IT managers
and IT Directors in European companies with more than 200 employees.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5835.html

* Security Benchmark Tools Available
October 4th, 2002

All federal agencies can now freely distribute and use the security
configuration tools developed by the independent Center for Internet
Security (CIS) and endorsed by federal security experts.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-5840.html

* Halting the Hacker: Second Edition of Computer Security Bestseller
Released
October 2nd, 2002

Kevin Jurrens writes: Prentice Hall PTR and HP Books today announced the
publication of "Halting the Hacker: A Practical Guide to Computer
Security," Second Edition by Donald L. Pipkin, CISSP, Information Security
Architect for the Internet Security Division of the Hewlett-Packard
Company.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-5822.html

* Interview with Roderick W. Smith
October 1st, 2002

Roderick W. Smith is a professional computer book author who has extensive
experience writing handbooks for users. A Linux and networking expert, he
has several books to his name, including: Broadband Internet Connections,
Linux: Networking for Your Office, The Multi-Boot Configuration Handbook,
Linux Samba Server Administration and Advanced Linux Networking.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5805.html