Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - September 30th 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 04:02:14 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  September 30th, 2002                         Volume 3, Number 38n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "PDFs may pose
threat to Unix, Linux," "An Introduction to GNU Privacy Guard," "A Guide
to Building Secure Web Applications," and "Security Group Comes Out of the
Shadows."

FEATURE LINK: New Linux OS billed as secure and user friendly The release
by Guardian Digital addresses a pressing need among small and large
businesses that rely on the Linux operating system:  how to better secure
corporate environments without being overwhelmed by the complexity of
Linux administration.

 --> http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=idg1

LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
This week, advisories were released for xchat, kdelibs, openssl,
tcl/tk, glibc, tomcat, and zope.  The vendors include Conectiva,
Debian, Gentoo, Mandrake, NetBSD, Red Hat, and SuSE.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5787.html

Guardian Digital Launches Next Generation
EnGarde Enterprise Security Software

 Guardian Digital, Inc., the leading open source security company, has
 formally launched the EnGarde Secure Linux server operating system,
 EnGarde Secure Professional. EnGarde Secure Professional is a
 comprehensive enterprise software solution that provides all the
 tools necessary to build a complete, secure online presence. This
 provides organizations with a cost-effective and proven platform
 capable of supporting thousands of Web sites and e-mail domains.

 http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=pr1

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* PDFs may pose threat to Unix, Linux
September 27th, 2002

A security flaw in commonly distributed file-viewing programs may make it
possible for attackers to use Adobe Systems PDF and PostScript files to
run malicious code on machines using the Unix or Linux operating systems,
according to an advisory released by technology security company iDefense.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-5795.html

* Secure Programming in PHP
September 27th, 2002

The goal of this paper is not only to show common threats and challenges
of programming secure PHP applications but also to show you practical
methods for doing so.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5788.html

* An Introduction to GNU Privacy Guard (1 of 2)
September 26th, 2002

Even though the concept of public-key cryptography for encryption purposes
was introduced close to three decades ago, and PGP has been around for
over a third of that, you'll likely find that for some reason only a small
number of PC users take full advantage of public-key security

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5785.html

* An Introduction to GNU Privacy Guard (2 of 2)
September 26th, 2002

In the first half of this article we discussed the various uses that GNU
Privacy Guard could bring to your business or personal life in enhancing
security of your digital documents and files, as well as the basics in
getting started with GnuPG.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5786.html

* A Guide to Building Secure Web Applications version 1.1
September 24th, 2002

We all use web applications everyday whether we consciously know it or
not. That is, all of us who browse the web. The ubiquity of web
applications is not always apparent to the everyday web user. When one
visits cnn.com and the site automagically knows you are a US resident and
serves you US news and local weather, it's all because of a web
application.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5767.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Linux Firewall on out of date hardware: kernel 2.2 or 2.4?
September 26th, 2002

An old PC can be the ideal platform to realize a network firewall based on
Linux. The system configuration needs a bit of attention but it's not a
difficult task to fulfill. The only doubt concerns which kernel version
better suits our needs.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-5778.html

* Configuring IPsec and IKE on Solaris, Part Three
September 24th, 2002

This is the third article in a three-part series on configuring IPsec and
the Internet Key Exchange (IKE) on Solaris hosts. The first article
covered the basics of IPsec and IKE. The second article focused on
configuring IPsec to protect traffic between two Solaris hosts.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5766.html

* Security Scanning 101
September 24th, 2002

Network and system security scanning is the most practical way to find out
what the vulnerabilities and threats are on and for your systems and
networks. All reputable providers of this service and associated products
offer a comprehensive report that describes the vulnerabilities detected,
the level or risk associated with each vulnerability, and recommendations
for corrective action.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5759.html

+------------------------+
|  Vendors/Products:     |
+------------------------+

* Start-up banks on hack-proof Linux
September 24th, 2002

Start-up Guardian Digital has launched an effort to sell a version of
Linux that's less vulnerable to attack, a niche the company hopes will
gain it a foothold in the market for the Unix-like operating system.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/organizations_events_article-5769.html

* Guardian Digital Launches EnGarde to Provide Enterprises with Linux
Security Solutions
September 24th, 2002

Guardian Digital, Inc., the leading open source security company, has
today formerly launched the EnGarde Secure Linux server operating system,
EnGarde Secure Professional. EnGarde Secure Professional is a
comprehensive enterprise software solution that provides all the tools
necessary to build a complete, secure online presence.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-5764.html

+------------------------+
|  General:              |
+------------------------+

* Group Seeks Curbs On Security Experts
September 27th, 2002

A new organization seeks to find common ground between software companies
and hacking gurus over how and when security flaws should be publicized.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5791.html

* Agencies Tie IT Security To Budgets
September 27th, 2002

With a little prodding from the Office of Management and Budget, agency IT
managers are tying system security to their enterprise infrastructures
through the budget process. Some said today that securing their
infrastructures ranks just as high as e-government for fiscal 2003.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-5794.html

* Security Group Comes Out of the Shadows
September 26th, 2002

After nearly a year in the shadows, the Organization for Internet Safety
on Thursday formally announced its formation.  The group, made up of
security and software vendors, is working on a set of guidelines for
handling vulnerability information, which it hopes will bring some order
to the chaotic world of security research and vulnerability disclosure.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5784.html

* Book Review: Advanced Linux Networking
September 25th, 2002

Advanced Linux Networking is written by Roderick W. Smith, who's the
author of such books as 'Broadband internet connections', 'Linux Samba
server administration', 'Linux: networking for your office', etc.
Advanced Linux Networking consists of five parts, organized into smaller
chapters, creating a 26 chapter book which is an excellent reading
companion to any basic Linux system administration book.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5770.html