Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - October 28th 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 05:06:14 -0600 (CST)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  October 28th, 2002                           Volume 3, Number 42n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Tool Unmasks Web
Server Vulnerabilities," "Controlling Access To Your Services With
xinetd," "Exposing the Underground: Adventures of an Open Proxy Server,"
and "Reverse Engineering Hostile Code."

** FREE SSL Guide from Thawte ** Are you planning your Web Server
Security? Click here to get a FREE Thawte SSL guide and find the answers
to all your SSL security issues.

  --> http://www.gothawte.com/rd408.html

LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
This week, advisories were released for webalizer, ethereal, ggv, mod-ssl,
tetex, NetBSD kernel, heimdal, groff, new, Linux kernel, unzip, xinetd,
php, nss_ldap, gaim, fetchmail, glibc, apache, xfree, zope, ypserv,
postgresql, and kdegraphics.  The vendors include Caldera, Debian,
EnGarde, Gentoo, Mandrake, NetBSD, Red Hat, SuSE, and Yellow Dog.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-6013.html

FEATURE:   Designing Shellcode Demystified
This paper is about the fundamentals of shellcode design and totally Linux
2.2 on IA-32 specific architectures. The base principles apply to all
architectures, whereas the details might obviously not.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-122.html

Concerned about the next threat? EnGarde is the undisputed winner!
Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice award
thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what the other
Linux vendors are not telling you.

http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=engarde2

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Tool Unmasks Web Server Vulnerabilities
October 25th, 2002

system administrators across the spectrum of IT have worked diligently in
recent months to remove telltale signs that can classify their Web
servers. However, this may fashion a false sense of confidence.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-6016.html

* Passwords: Poor Excuse for Security
October 25th, 2002

Cut costs. Save money. Maintain the status quo. With that mantra in mind,
many network managers figure they've got authentication covered. As long
as there's a password policy in place, who needs to spend money on
authentication tools?

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-6015.html

* Top Linux/UNIX Security Threats
October 24th, 2002

It's depressing for security professionals to see just how many of the
vulnerabilities on the new SANS/FBI Top 20 List have CVE numbers in the
1999-xxxx range--meaning that they were identified and fixed years ago on
some systems.  Newer problems appear in each category, but far too many
bear old CVE numbers

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-6010.html

* Reverse Engineering Hostile Code
October 24th, 2002

Computer criminals are always ready and waiting to compromise a weakness
in a system. When they do, they usually leave programs on the system to
maintain their control. We refer to these programs as "Trojans" after the
story of the ancient Greek Trojan horse. Often these programs are custom
compiled and not widely distributed.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-6004.html

* Build a Secure Webmail Service Supporting IMAP and SSL
October 23rd, 2002

This article describes how you can set up your Linux computer to be a
web-based e-mail system for yourself or a group of friends. It will work
best, of course, if you are on a dedicated internet connection, like a
cable modem or a DSL line at home.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5995.html

* Controlling Access To Your Services With xinetd
October 22nd, 2002

Whenever you learn about controlling access to a Linux box, one "creature"
you usually encounter is the "superdaemon." A superdaemon is a daemon that
controls other daemons--and daemons are typically network service control
programs that run long-term behind the scenes, waiting for when they need
to step into action.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5980.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* Wireless: Wide Open To Attack
October 23rd, 2002

You may be enjoying the convenience of a newly installed wireless
solution, but how many strangers are doing the same with your network?
Not so long ago, war driving was the latest hacking method, consisting of
driving a car around areas populated by business, equipped with laptops
and 802.11b NICs that would detect wireless access points.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5994.html

* Exposing the Underground: Adventures of an Open Proxy Server
October 22nd, 2002

"This paper discusses the abuse of misconfigured HTTP proxy servers,
taking a detailed look at the types of traffic that flow through this
underground network. Also discussed is the use of a "honeyproxy", a server
designed to look like a misconfigured HTTP proxy. Using such a tool we can
spy on the Internet underground without the need for a full-blown
honeypot."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5988.html

+------------------------+
| Cryptography News:     |
+------------------------+

* Images get distortion-proof crypto marks
October 24th, 2002

Researchers have created a new way to encrypt information in a digital
image and extract it later without any distortion or loss of information.
A team of scientists from Xerox and the University of Rochester said that
the technique, called reversible data hiding, could be used in situations
that require proof that an image has not been altered.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5998.html

* Using GnuPG
October 24th, 2002

The GNU Privacy Guard is a free replacement for the PGP PKI (Public Key
Infrastructure) encryption tool. It can be used to encrypt data and to
create digital signatures. It includes an advanced key management facility
and is compliant with the proposed OpenPGP Internet standard.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-6000.html

* PGP Poised For Major Comeback
October 24th, 2002

PGP encryption products will be back on the market by the end of the year,
with a raft of new releases in the pipeline.  PGP 8.0 will be out by the
end of December and will include a freeware version for non-commercial
use, a single user personal package and an enterprise version.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-6011.html

* "Critical" Kerberos flaw revealed
October 24th, 2002

Kerberos has lost some of its bite, according to the US government, which
on Wednesday warned of a critical flaw that could allow hackers to
circumvent the secure networking system.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-6012.html

* Net Guru: Encrypt Everything
October 22nd, 2002

Ray Ozzie believes in shared workspaces. The inventor of Lotus Notes
collaboration software founded Groove Networks Inc. in 1997 because
server-based architectures "fundamentally could not address the dynamic
collaboration requirements of a decentralized business environment."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5987.html

+------------------------+
|  General News:         |
+------------------------+

* Certifiably Certified
October 24th, 2002

A recent issue of SC Magazine, one of the information security industry's
cheerleading trade rags, featured a full-page advertisement with the
following emblazoned across the top of the page: "How to increase your
salary by 21.39% in 7 days or less."

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-6003.html

* HIPAA A Hardship For Health Care Companies
October 23rd, 2002

A difficult economic climate may make it harder for health care providers
to comply with provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA) in time for deadlines next year, according to a
report by the consulting company Frost & Sullivan.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-5992.html

* Guidelines for Reporting Security Incidents
October 21st, 2002

CIO magazine, in conjunction with the Secret Service and FBI, has put
together a set of guidelines for businesses to follow when notifying law
enforcement agencies and other authorities of security incidents. The
report covers what kind of events should be reported, the data that should
be collected, and who to send it to.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-5966.html