Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Government Flunks Computer Security Tests

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:22:53 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: huggins () airmail net

Note: The fine print in the document says that these inspections were
more indepth then previous inspections and that in comparison the
government has improved its security.  Those in business and
government as well as the private sector had an opportunity until
Monday to improve on the Cyber Security national plan.  THe problem
was we dont want regulation, we dont want to utilized secure unix or
hardened Microsoft even though those procedures exist.  Our society
wants instant gratification, and with that goes instant access to
everything without security influencing how things are done.  As a
retired military security professional my experience is that senior
management in government is just like senior management (although a
little more secure than those) in america's corporation.  Those that
would hoot and hooler that we told you so need to look at the
corporations and how they work and think where they would be 2 maybe 3
would receive a D the rest would fail miserably.

Forwarded from: Elyn Wollensky <elyn () consect com>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9496-2002Nov19.html

By Brian Krebs
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 19, 2002

The U.S. government has earned failing marks for computer security for
the second year in a row, according to a report released today by a
congressional oversight committee.

Nearly two-thirds of the federal government's 24 major agencies
flunked the General Accounting Office's (GAO) latest "computer
security report card," according to a House Government Reform
subcommittee. The Departments of Justice, Defense, Energy and Treasury
earned flunking grades, with the Department of Transportation earning
the lowest score.

The Social Security Administration won the highest mark, with a
"B minus."

The report comes at a time when the Bush administration worries that
international terrorist groups like Al Qaeda not are planning attacks
against U.S. citizens, but intend to disrupt or disable the Internet
and other global communications networks.

[...]

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.