Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Smith Bill Raises Police Power Concerns

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 02:56:01 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Marjorie Simmons <lawyer () carpereslegalis com>

Alan Davidson's helpful testimony regarding H.R. 3482 follows
my remark, and is reported by the CDT at:
http://www.cdt.org/testimony/020212davidson.shtml

the GPO bill is at
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.3482:

My experience with responses to requests for information and
subpoenas I and others have drafted in civil matters seeking
information from ISPs in the last several years has been interesting.
ISP responses have been all over the map, varying from the alarming
(too much data handed over) to the absurdly secretive (contempt
charged).  ISPs so often founder in a quagmire with this stuff --
hopefully Mr. Davidson's comments will have the desired impact
and (whatever the outcome of H.R. 3482, the "Cyber Security
Enhancement Act of 2001"), will prompt the codification of a useful
comfort zone that will cascade to civil litigants. I won't, however,
hold my breath in any case, as it often seems possible that the
tortoise called Osmosis may finish the race before the hare called
Post-911-Statute-Making.

Marjorie Simmons
lawyer () carpereslegalis com
________________________________

Testimony of Alan Davidson (Associate Director CDT)
before the Subcommittee on Crime of the Committee on
Judiciary U.S. House of Representatives 2-12-02

[snip preamble] . . .

Our nation is at a point where revolutionary changes in
communications and computer technology have created new concerns
about public safety, security, and privacy online. In the aftermath of
September 11, cybersecurity is a serious problem that demands a real
response from government. At the same time, such responses must be
respectful of the protections for personal privacy and from overly
broad governmental authority, enshrined in our Constitution and
electronic surveillance laws.

If we are forced to give up essential liberties fundamental to our
American way of life than our country will truly have lost something
important.

With this need to protect both security and Constitutional privacy
principles, CDT offers the following comments on H.R. 4382:

First, CDT commends this committee for holding this hearing, and
for the relatively measured approach taken in HR 3482. We agree
that computer crime and security is a serious problem that requires
serious government response. In the USA PATRIOT Act, passed this
fall, substantial changes were made to the computer crime and
government surveillance statutes that raised serious privacy concerns
and are to this date still not fully understood. In contrast and with
one notable exception - the emergency disclosures provision of
Section 102 - H.R. 4382 takes a more modest approach to these
laws that does not raise the same types of privacy concerns.

Second, the emergency disclosure provision of Section 102, as
drafted, is overly broad and would eviscerate important privacy
protections in current law.

Current law protects the privacy of electronic communications by
prohibiting service providers from revealing those communications
to anyone without proper lawful orders. Emergency disclosure
provisions exist in the current law based on a reasonable idea - ISPs
who reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of death or
serious injury should be able to reveal communications to law
enforcement agencies on an emergency basis even without judicial
oversight.

Sec. 102 would substantially expand this ability to reveal private
communications without any judicial authority or oversight.

In practice, however, we have heard reports from large and small
providers, universities, and libraries, that the emergency disclosure
is being used in a different way. Providers are often approached by
government agents and asked to voluntarily disclose communi-
cations or other subscriber information for investigations that the
government claims involve a danger to life and limb. Providers are
then faced with a Hobbesian choice - either turn over sensitive
private communications of subscribers without any court order, or
say no to a government request. Of course many comply with the
requests. Small providers have few legal resources to evaluate such
requests. Others receive requests from the same agents they may
seek help from the next day regarding hacking attacks or other
problems. Without proper restrictions, such "voluntary disclosure"
provisions risk becoming a major loophole.

Current law, passed just four months ago, confines these extraordinary
disclosures to law enforcement agents in limited circumstances. As
drafted, Sec. 102 would threaten the privacy of communication by
substantially broadening these disclosures:

It allows these disclosures to any governmental entity, not just law
enforcement agents. That could include literally thousands of federal,
state, and local employees - perhaps even foreign government
officials.

It no longer requires imminent danger for disclosure. It would allow
these extraordinary disclosures when there is some danger, which
might be far in the future and far more hypothetical.

It no longer requires a reasonable belief that there is a danger on
the part of the ISP. Section 102 would allow these sensitive
disclosures if there is any good faith belief - even if unreasonable-of
danger.

Thus as drafted, Sec. 102 would allow many more disclosures of
sensitive communications without any court oversight or notice to
subscribers. It would allow these disclosures to (and based on
requests from) potentially hundreds of thousands of government
employees, ranging from local canine control officials to school-
teachers to Agriculture Department cotton inspectors to foreign
government officials.

We urge the committee to carefully rethink this expansion. We
understand the argument that in some narrow circumstances
disclosures to some entities - such as the Center for Disease
Control - might be warranted. As supported in current law, in cases
of imminent threats of death or serious injury, law enforcement
agencies - trained to deal with such situations and cognizant of
legal strictures- should be the first contact point for concerned
citizens. We also urge the committee to maintain the requirements
of a reasonable belief in imminent danger.

We are confident that if other disclosures are needed they can be
carefully crafted, and we look forward to working with the
Committee as well as experts in industry and other interested
parties to find a more balanced approach.

In addition, we strongly encourage this Committee to add
accountability mechanisms for this extraordinary power. Congress
should consider requiring notice to the subscriber, after the fact
(and deferrable based on a judicial order), as a means of providing
subscribers with some way of knowing that their communications
have been disclosed. And at a bare minimum Congress should
mandate a reporting requirement for these emergency disclosures
to federal law enforcement, to give Congress some method of
evaluating their use.

Third, we urge the Committee to continue its work to balance
powerful surveillance authorities with appropriate privacy
protections.

An essential element of security in cyberspace is trust. If Internet
users cannot trust that their most sensitive personal and business
communications will be private, than we cannot realize the
promise of the Internet as a communications medium.

Powerful new surveillance authorities require powerful oversight
and accountability. In addition, the digital age is making more
personal information available than ever before, also increasing
the need for a legislative framework that protects personal
information from inappropriate surveillance.

The USA Patriot Act passed this fall provides substantial new
government capabilities to conduct surveillance on Americans
and to combat terrorism and cyber crime. H.R. 4382 also provides
additional and powerful new resources and tools. But in both cases
there are virtually no new measures for oversight and accountability,
or any protections for all the sensitive personal information
increasingly available in the digital and wireless age. (We note that
this committee's own admirable efforts to strike a greater balance in
the PATRIOT Act were largely ignored.)

We urge this committee to adopt a more comprehensive approach
to cybersecurity that recognizes the urgent need for additional
privacy protections. The Congress could start by taking up the
helpful changes to surveillance law developed and passed by the
House Judiciary Committee in the last Congress, under H.R. 5018,
including:

Heightened protections for access to wireless location information,
requiring a judge to find probable cause to believe that a crime has
been or is being committed. Today tens of millions of Americans
are carrying (or driving) mobile devices that could be used to create
a detailed dossier of their movements over time - with little clarity
over how that information could be accessed and without an
appropriate legal standard for doing so.

An increased standard for use of expanded pen registers and trap
and trace capabilities, requiring a judge to at least find that specific
and particularly facts reasonably indicate criminal activity and that
the information to be collected is relevant to the investigation of
such conduct.

Addition of electronic communications to the Title III exclusionary
rule in 18 USC ?2515 and add a similar rule to the section 2703
authority. This would prohibit the use in any court or administrative
proceeding of email or other Internet communications intercepted
or seized in violation of the privacy standards in the law.

Require statistical reports for ?2703 disclosures, similar to those
required by Title III.

Require high-level Justice Department approval for applications to
intercept electronic communications, as is currently required for
interceptions of wire and oral communications.

In addition, other issues - some of broader scope - need to be
addressed:

Improve the notice requirement under ECPA to ensure that
consumers receive notice whenever the government obtains
information about their Internet transactions.

Provide enhanced protection for personal information on networks:
probable cause for seizure without prior notice, and a meaningful
opportunity to object for subpoena access.

Require notice and an opportunity to object when civil subpoenas
seek personal information about Internet usage.

The bills put before this Committee last Congress were efforts
towards a modest improvement in privacy protections without in
any way denying the government any investigative tools. They
should serve as a starting point, and we hope that you will
consider including them to address the privacy concerns of many
Americans and the imbalance that exists in today's electronic
surveillance laws.

In conclusion, we urge to Subcommittee to

Substantially narrow the new emergency disclosure provisions
of Section 102. If retained, they should greatly limit the scope
of governmental entities that can receive such disclosure, could
provide deferred notice to the subscribers whose communications
were revealed, and should absolutely require reporting to
Congress on their use.

Take a more balanced approach by including some of the privacy
protections passed by this committee last Congress. Among the
most urgent of these: a need for clearer protection of wireless
location information, clearer definitions of what constitutes
content for pen/trap orders online, and additional statistical
reporting requirements.

Protecting national security and public safety in this digital age
is a major challenge and priority for our country. On balance,
however, we believe that new sources of data and new tools
available will prove to be of great benefit to government
surveillance and law enforcement. It is essential that we offer a
measured response to these concerns, and urgently take up the
need for additional privacy protections in the electronic
surveillance laws.

Powerful new government surveillance and law enforcement
capabilities demand powerful oversight, accountability, and
privacy protection mechanisms. We look forward to working
with the Subcommittee and other interested parties to craft
an approach that protects both security and privacy online.

On Sunday, May 12, 2002 11:41 pm, InfoSec News
[SMTP:isn () c4i org] wrote:
| Forwarded from: Bob <bob () globaldevelopment org>
|
| http://dc.internet.com/news/print/0,,2101_1107691,00.html

 . . .

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.