Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Midwest Express hackers cause a stir

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 01:43:15 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: rferrell () texas net

The hackers said they were motivated to intrude on the sites of
Midwest Express and other corporate and military sites to
demonstrate that the U.S. infrastructure is still vulnerable to
terrorists even after Sept. 11. Midwest Express and other corporate
targets were apparently chosen at random.

OK folks, it's time to give up this pointless charade.  These Web page
defacers don't give two hairs off a rodent's backside about the
"security of the U.S. infrastructure."  What they care about is
publicity:  the glory of seeing themselves in countless news stories.
Their message, if it means anything to them at all, is a
rationalization designed to ease their own consciences and perhaps to
generate public sympathy for their blatantly criminal actions.

If I rob someone at gunpoint, does explaining that I'm doing it to
protest against people who commit robberies make it more acceptable?

These puerile escapades are hardly a novel approach, and quite
frankly, they just aren't news. If the press will ignore these little
twerps, they'll probably go away.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
rferrell () texas net

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.