Information Security News mailing list archives

Chinese crackers prepare for cyber war

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 05:25:29 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.computing.vnunet.com/News/1132068

[Its not Friday unless there's a cyberwar story for Richard Forno to
tear apart, now in its third week running. :)  - WK]

By Nick Farrell [24-05-2002]

Students may launch attacks on vital western systems

Chinese hackers could be readying themselves to launch a cyber attack
on key western computer systems.

The Institute for Strategic Studies, run by the US Army War College,
has released a classified report warning the Defense Department, US
diplomats and law enforcement agencies to be on the look out for
Chinese student hacking attacks some time this summer.

The Institute believes that the attacks will try to spread computer
viruses and deface sensitive government websites.

The report, Chinese Information Warfare: A Phantom or Emerging
Threat?, claims that the hackers are trying to achieve information
dominance as a way of overcoming US military superiority.

It would not be the first time that China has turned to cyber space to
vent its anger.

When NATO accidentally bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade killing
three journalists, Chinese hackers broke into the US Department of
Energy's website and replaced its homepage with a note written half in
English, half in Chinese.

It read: "We are Chinese hackers who take no cares about politics. But
we cannot stand by seeing our Chinese reporters being killed.

"Whatever the purpose is, NATO, led by the USA, must take absolute
responsibility. You have owed Chinese people a bloody debt which you
must pay for. We won't stop attacking until the war stops."

A previous Chinese cyber attack on the White House website knocked it
out for four hours.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.