Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: 13,000 Credit Reports Stolen by Hackers

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 04:25:23 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Joe Klein <jsklein () mindspring com>

As with many 'hacks', there are two parties involved. The first party
left the 'door open and unlocked' and the second walked through the
open door to steal the property.

The first party in this case is the management of the company. This
management has a fiduciary duty to protect the assets of the company,
including its data.  Lately, it appears that many companies have
decided that it's easer to blame the hacker then perform their "Due
Diligence".

Until the management of companies "are held responsible",
unfortunately, this trend in hacking will continue.