Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Super-Secure Linux, Inch by Inch

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 02:45:59 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Russell Coker <russell () coker com au>
Cc: rzarate () starpower net

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:02, you wrote:
http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,53004,00.html

By Declan McCullagh and Robert Zarate
2:00 a.m. June 11, 2002 PDT

Part one of a three-part series.

WASHINGTON -- Super-secure additions to the Linux operating system
are inching closer to the mainstream.

Savage says: "Unless you know security, it's very difficult. Unless
you've ever worked in multi-level security, I'd say don't even
attempt to incorporate because of the terminology it uses. To most
people it's gobbledygook. Most people can't understand it. If you
don't know about security, it's not a good thing to learn."

The NSA guys generally recommend not using MLS, and it's marked as
experimental in the kernel patch.

A Red Hat version of SELinux is available at sourceforge.net.

RPM packages for some parts of SE Linux are available from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/selinux/ .  Debian packages for much more of
SE Linux are available from the Debian site and from my site
http://www.coker.com.au/selinux/ .

Russell Coker

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.