Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Ultimate Computer Security Devices

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 02:49:13 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Bill Barrett <bill_barrett () uhaul com>

This reminds me of another incident that I experienced when I was
doing consulting.  A company I worked with that shall remain nameless
was very proud of their secure computing center, featuring all the
latest devices such as the requirement to use a fingerprint scanner in
combination with a smart card in order to access the room.  However,
the drop floor extended to BOTH sides of the secured entrance so all
that was required was to lift a tile and crawl through the ample floor
space.  A flaw that was often seen demonstrated by network personnel
as cables were run.

-WTB

Forwarded from: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>

When I worked at Winstar, someone from another department set up a
mantrap w/ a retinal scanner to protect the tech center...a data
center that housed all servers using for billing, etc.  The mantrap
was demonstrated one day, and several people went back and forth
successfully (they had already been enrolled).  Then the elevator
arrived (we were on the second floor), and the mantrap failed
closed...the enrolled user was not authenticated and the mantrap
locked.  It turns out that the magnetic field generated by the
arriving elevator was enough to play havok w/ the mantrap's
systems...which had been installed directly adjacent to the
elevators...

--- InfoSec News <isn () c4i org> wrote:
Forwarded from: Thomas Roy Garner
<trgarne () earthlink net>

Your article regarding eye scanners reminds me of the eye scanner we
use @ work.  Now, remember, this only applies to the eye-scanner we
use, other systems may differ:

[...]

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.