Information Security News mailing list archives

Narrator Reads Password Aloud in Terminal Services Client

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:57:11 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Christian Wright <cw () c4i org>

I was researching something else when I came across this great little
Microsoft Q article:

Two things:

1.  I like their definition of "resolution".  That's not a resolution
- that's a workaround buddy...

2.  Status - "A-yup, that there is a problem alright.  Sure is.
Whoo-boy.  Let's get some lunch..."

-=-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243243

Narrator Reads Password Aloud in Terminal Services Client (Q243243)
*       Microsoft Windows 2000 , Advanced Server
*       Microsoft Windows 2000 , Professional
*       Microsoft Windows 2000 , Server

SYMPTOMS

Microsoft Narrator is a synthesized text-to-speech utility for users who
have low vision. When you are using Narrator, keystrokes that you type are
read aloud. When you log on to a Terminal Services server in a Terminal
Services client session, Narrator reads your user name, domain name, and
password aloud.

CAUSE

Terminal Services simply sends bitmap images to the client computer. It
does not send any code describing which fields for which it wants data, so
Narrator does not know to mask the password keystrokes.

RESOLUTION

Many people who use Narrator use headphones so as not to disturb others.
In this case, the password may not be heard by others. To work around the
problem, you can turn down the volume on your speakers while you type the
password.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products
that are listed at the beginning of this article.

MORE INFORMATION

When you log on to a local computer, or in Microsoft Internet Explorer,
Narrator masks password fields by calling out the word "password" instead
of the keystrokes.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.