Information Security News mailing list archives

Linux Security Week - July 8th 2002

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 06:59:21 -0500 (CDT)

|  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
|  July 8th, 2002                               Volume 3, Number 27n  |
|  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             dave () linuxsecurity com    |
|                   Benjamin Thomas         ben () linuxsecurity com     |

Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "How we could
have prevented an Apache worm," "Advanced SQL Injection," "Integrating
Flexible Support for Security Policies into the Linux Operating System
(SE)," and "The State of Anomaly Detection."

## Developing with open standards? Demanding High Performance? ##

Catch the Oracle9i JDeveloper wave now and check out how built-in
profilers and CodeCoach make your Java code tighter and faster than ever
before. Download your FREE copy of Oracle9i JDeveloper Today.

  http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=oracle1

This week, advisories were released for openssh, apache, mod_ssl, and
squid. The vendors include Conectiva, Debian, EnGarde, Mandrake, SuSE, and
Trustix.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5255.html

** Build Complete Internet Presence Quickly and Securely! **

EnGarde Secure Linux has everything necessary to create thousands of
virtual Web sites, manage e-mail, DNS, firewalling, and database functions
for an entire organization, all using a secure Web-based front-end.
Engineered to be secure and easy to use!

Don't jeopardize your organization with an off-the shelf Linux!

  -> http://www.guardiandigital.com/promo/ls150402.html

Take advantage of our Linux Security discussion list!  This mailing list
is for general security-related questions and comments. To subscribe send
an e-mail to security-discuss-request () linuxsecurity com with "subscribe"
as the subject.

Find technical and managerial positions available worldwide.  Visit the
LinuxSecurity.com Career Center: http://careers.linuxsecurity.com

+---------------------+
| Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
+---------------------+

* Securing Servers With PHP (Portscan)
July 6th, 2002

Did you ever think about using PHP as a tool for increasing network
security? It's much easier to write socket code in PHP than in C, for
example. This article by Maguma software developer Jim Barcelona shows how
to create a simple yet effective port scanning application in PHP.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5262.html

* How we could have prevented an Apache worm
July 3rd, 2002

One of the most contentious issues in the security community today is how
and when those who discover vulnerabilities communicate their knowledge to
both the companies that make the products and the public.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5244.html

* Advanced SQL Injection
July 3rd, 2002

The paper covers in more detail some of the points described in its
predecessor, providing examples to clarify areas where the previous paper
was perhaps unclear. An effective method for privilege escalation is
described that makes use of the openrowset function to scan a network.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/host_security_article-5241.html

* comp.os.linux.security FAQ Updated
July 1st, 2002

Daniel Swan has sent us a note to let us know he has updated his
authoritative comp.os.linux.security FAQ. "Welcome to
comp.os.linux.security.  We ask that you please read the FAQ before
posting questions to the newsgroup.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-5228.html

* Integrating Flexible Support for Security Policies into the Linux
Operating System
July 1st, 2002

This article discusses implementing Mandatory Access Control in the SE
Linux system. "The protection mechanisms of current mainstream operating
systems are inadequate to support confidentiality and integrity
requirements for end systems.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5231.html

+------------------------+
| Network Security News: |
+------------------------+

* DNS Flaws Put Net Connected Systems At Risk
July 2nd, 2002

A flaw in software that supports the Internet's DNS (Domain Name System)
for translating text-based Web addresses to numeric IP (Internet Protocol)
addresses can put Internet-connected systems at risk.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5238.html

* Sentry Firewall CD HOWTO
July 2nd, 2002

This document is designed as an introduction on how the Sentry Firewall
CDROM works and how to get started using the system. This is the
long-overdue Sentry Firewall CDROM howto. I hope this document helps get
you started using the Sentry Firewall CD and answers any questions you
might have regarding how the system works.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/firewalls_article-5240.html

* Bug puts Unix servers in a BIND
July 2nd, 2002

Security watchers are warning that a security flaw affecting Domain Name
System servers running Unix could prove difficult to fix. A buffer
overflow vulnerability in DNS.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-5237.html

* One of These Things is not Like the Others: The State of Anomaly
Detection
July 1st, 2002

"To some, our observations can be summarized succinctly as "bugs happen".
That certainly is not news. But dismissing our results so cavalierly
misses.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5223.html

+------------------------+
|  Cryptography:         |
+------------------------+

* cDc prepares user-friendly stego app
July 4th, 2002

In an effort to help Netizens in the more paranoid corners of the world
evade national censorship, the cDc's Hacktivismo group is developing a
browser product called Camera/Shy capable of creating and displaying
images with messages which would likely get a Web site shut down or
filtered in places like Saudi Arabia and China.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-5252.html

* Zimmermann to Network Associates: Sell PGP back to me, or
open-source it
July 2nd, 2002

Philip R. Zimmermann, author of encryption program Pretty Good Privacy, is
suggesting current owner Network Associates open-source PGP's code as one
alternative to the program dying on the vine at the company.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5234.html

+------------------------+
|  General:              |
+------------------------+

* Fed-up customers want faster bug alerts
July 7th, 2002

A study of more than 300 companies published last week found that nearly
80 percent of companies support security consultants and hackers releasing
information about software vulnerabilities even when the developers aren't
prepared, and that they want news of potential flaws within a week.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5263.html

* National Security is an IT Concern
July 3rd, 2002

We can't rely any longer on the comforting urban legend that the Internet
is impervious to attack. The Internet is a massive collection of remotely
accessible, often poorly maintained networks supported by software systems
with little diversity and a history of serious security flaws.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-5242.html

* What It Takes to Be a CSO
July 2nd, 2002

Security jobs are in the spotlight like never before, with the current
heightened sensitivity to cyber-crime and national security. Add to that
the fact that security.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5235.html