Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Web site exposes credit card fraud

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 06:40:17 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Mark Baldwin <mbaldwin () opnet com>

Is this for real?  First of all, their certificate was not issued by a
known CA.  Secondly, I am supposed to enter my card number and then
they tell me if it has been stolen or not?  If it wasn't already, it
probably will be after using this web site.  Call me paranoid, I but
say no thanks.

Mark...
--
Mark A. Baldwin                         Director of Information Systems
OPNET Technologies                      http://opnet.com

InfoSec News wrote:

Forwarded from: "Stanislav N. Vardomskiy" <stany () NotBSD org>

It seems that overall the issue is about trust.  Do you trust the vendor
you buy your computer hardware from?  Do you trust the waiter as you pay
you bill?  Do you trust CardCops?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/06/26/identity.theft.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An anti-fraud education group that tipped federal
authorities to a major Internet credit card scheme has opened a Web
site that will let Americans check to see if their card numbers are in
the hands of thieves.

The database of stolen credit card numbers, which became available on
the Web late Tuesday, was created over the last seven weeks and has
already identified nearly 100,000 credit card numbers, the group said.

The group, CardCops, collected the information from Internet chat
rooms where thieves have been checking whether stolen card numbers are
still good to use or have been deactivated.

The group alerted the Secret Service to the scheme and turned over its
database to investigators. It then decided to create the Web site so
Americans can check their numbers and possibly prevent fraudulent
charges.

[...]

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.