Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: US to yank Kevin Mitnick's radio license

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 01:11:23 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Telemann Mediatrix <genie () spunge org>

Let me be the first person to assure my actions we never justfied. By
the authorities or by me. I was locked-up for 6 months and had years
of probation. The only reason I am free now was because of my age, and
given the type of charges, they weren't considering me a dangerous
criminal. I can say that making a bomb and reverse-engineering telecom
equipment aren't the same. I would have never knowingly endangered
people. Sure, they were in danger if they had to call 911 and there
was no phone, but that was by sheer accident and unfamiliarity with
the equipment.  The experience changed my life and I was shown what
could happen if I continued down the path I was on. All I hoped for
was them to let it be the past and not hold it against me, that's the
whole idea of juvenile justice. But I received only a small part,
court transcripts aren't available but there are still numerous
investigation files that won't be destroyed, and given my line of work
that can be a huge problem. Your resume and good name are all you have
these days.