Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: U.S. Cyber Security Weakening

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:38:49 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: "Thomas (Yahoo!)" <thomasroygarner () yahoo com>

One thing that makes me wonder, in the first paragraph, mentions
"...companies are not implementing security measures already
available..."

I could be reading into this article but, one a security patch comes
out for our latest/great MS Network, we cannot simply just "apply the
patch".  Even though, our security personnel scream bloody hell to do
so, you simply can't.  We learned that lesson years ago, applying a
patch, only to have another patch come out shortly, thereafter, to
correct an error in the previous patch.

We have to test the patch, ensure that it passes accreditation, ensure
that if this patch is applied, all computers on the network can run
and not "crash" or some other unforeseen problem.

I do understand the need for other physical preventive devices;
however, not everyone is running Windows NT or Windows 2K, I have
three/four Windows 95 machines running happily w/ outdated software,
Lord knows what a patch for the Network could do to my lonely Win 95
machine! :(

Thomas Roy Garner
SETIPRIME ( http://www.setiprime.com )