Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Irony: Inmate's hacking through jail computers comes to an end

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:02:25 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Steven Jay Moshlak <smoshlak () interserv com>

Hi-

My comments are embedded below and this is why going cheap, is dear.
If I was one of the "rank and file" law enforcement officials who had
learned that data about me was in the hands of a convicted felon or
someone charges with a felony, I'd hang the entire group of
Corrections Management that is responsible; directly or indirectly,
out to dry, accordingly.

The Management have failed to not only uphold their oaths as law
enforcement officials, but have endangered the lives of sworn peace
officers.  This is the same state where a number of airplanes were
"stolen" and the person ultimately responsible for the management of
security at Logan was managed by a political appointee who has no
knowledge of Airports to begin with. Regrettably, political patronage
is apparently alive and well in Massachusetts.

Tanzi, a Massachusetts man charged with killing two women, had been
using the Monroe County Detention Center's computerized law library,
which consists of about 50 CD-ROMs that prisoners can tap into using
two steel-enclosed computer terminals in a basement room of the
jail.

No "Stand-alone's," VPN or CD-ROM Jukeboxes are available?

Jail administrators have since installed a $10,000 firewall, which
they say cannot be breached by inmates.

Tie a "bulls-eye" on the old oak tree, I mean me, please.

Computer technicians at the jail said they thought they had disabled
any back doors to the rest of the network.

Next time, hire network engineers, not "technicians."  You get what
you pay for.  By the way, were these "trustees?"